Connecting Flight Query

bobthegreenmonster

Hi all.

We plan on shipping out to Adelaide in August. We have found a great offer via IOM, flying with Ethihad. This includes 40k allowance for each of us (2 adults, 2 children) which is also great.

The stop over is in Dubai but the connecting flight to Adelaide leaves 1 and a half hours after we land in Dubai from Dublin. Is this enough time? Both flights are Ethihad. Will we have to collect our baggage and check in again in Dubai or will the baggage be transferred? Would we have to clear customs in Dubai etc?

Any help appreciated

Bob

Guest The Pom Queen

Usually your baggage will be checked in straight through and you will wait in the transit lounge avoiding having to check in again. I'm not sure if Dubai is different though.

I recently done Gatwick to Perth with a 1.5 hr layover in Dubai. Basically when you get off the first flight there are sign posts directing you to go through passport control/baggage check, go through to departures, check the board for your next departure gate, make your way over and you will usually have 20-30 minutes to spare depending on how far away the gate is. Luggage gets transferred on to your connecting flight, so no lugging heavy bags around. I prefer short layovers but they can be a bit rushed as you feel like you step off one plane straight on to another, but at least you get to Oz quicker lol..

Hope this helps, if not I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly. :unsure:

Hi Bob

Firstly is it Dubai or Abu Dhabi? Usually Etihad flies to Abu Dhabi...

In any case... there will not be customs in both airports.. u will be in the transit lounge and you bags will be checked in until Adelaide...U can always confirm this when u check them in at Dublin..

One thing though... Both airports are huge... If you have small children you may want to hustle to the next gate just in case your flight arrives late into the UAE.

Hi all.

We plan on shipping out to Adelaide in August. We have found a great offer via IOM, flying with Ethihad. This includes 40k allowance for each of us (2 adults, 2 children) which is also great.

The stop over is in Dubai but the connecting flight to Adelaide leaves 1 and a half hours after we land in Dubai from Dublin. Is this enough time? Both flights are Ethihad. Will we have to collect our baggage and check in again in Dubai or will the baggage be transferred? Would we have to clear customs in Dubai etc?

Any help appreciated

Bob

Is there a double baggage migrants allowance available with some airlines. I have seen some conflicting info on this

Officially, no. Singapore Airlines is known to offer 40kg (instead of 30kg) to passengers holding an unvalidated PR visa but you won't find any information about it on their website. If doing this you really need to contact them and try and ensure the baggage allowance is updated prior to arriving for check in.

Are you flying Etihad or Emirates? Etihad don't fly direct to Adelaide (but Emirates do). I remember watching a tv documentary about Dubai airport - it is huge and some of the transfer times are tight so have your wits about you and make sure you get to you next departure gate as soon as you can. Don't get sidetracked by shops or restaurants, just get to the right part of the airport near your gate before you relax.

Yes, I think you might mean Emirates? My parents flew with them on that route - were delayed leaving Heathrow, so missed the connection, then got put on a Melbourne flight and missed the Adelaide connection from there - took about three days to get here in the end! It was when the route was fairly new though so hopefully better now, but the short transit time doesn't leave you much leeway for error....

The short layover times are quite common. My son travels as an Unaccompanied Minor to Adelaide quite regularly so I book the flights with the shortest layover possible so he is not hanging around an airport on his own for hours. The quickest was an hour and five minutes. He travels with Singapore Airlines and there has never been a problem with his flights or his luggage.

However, my ex in-laws travelled with Emirates via Dubai for the first time at Easter with the short layover of an hour and thirty minutes. They got to Adelaide fine, but their luggage arrived two days later!

My mum flew Emirates from London to Adelaide in 2013 and had an absolute nightmare of a journey because of the short layover time. Originally when we checked in at the airport in London they said the flight was delayed but it would still make the right time in Dubai (really?????) and she would get her connection to Adelaide no problems. We took them at their word as they didnt want to rebook her at that time and promised she would be ok.

Yeah that didnt happen surprise surprise!!!!!

As predicted she missed her connection and was told she had to wait around 8/9 hours in the airport until the next flight left, but that one was via Singapore AND Melbourne (she chose Emirates so she avoided Singapore airport as well as Melbourne and could get a direct flight from Dubai to Adelaide). She was less than pleased (as were we because of the cock up in London and the outright lies we were told when checking in). She arrived home in Adelaide over 48 hours later and there was no sorry from Emirates or even helpfulness in rescheduling her when she was in Dubai - they were quite rude to her and not accommodating at all.

I guess if you are flying in winter time then dont go for the short layover (given there are generally delays in London due to the weather) and if you have kids be careful as well (my mum didnt but she also cannot run for any plane either so - something which you will be hampered doing with kids and all the excess stuff you have to take with you). If you need to get to the gate in a hurry and you are on your own then you are ok, but otherwise I would be careful when booking and perhaps chose the longer layover just to be safe (although I am known to be cautious and would prefer a few extra hours in the airport - especially as I have never been before and would like to look around and let the kids have a good run to wear of any excess energy - than to miss my connecting flight and be stuffed around on a longer journey).

Mum was also saying that the worst thing is you deplane onto the runway and then apparently have to get a bus to the terminal where your connecting flight is and that can take some time as not all passengers fit on the one bus obviously. She mentioned something about the terminal being quite far away from the plane so I am not sure if there is more than one or if they have different sections. This was another thing that caused her a delay and why she missed her connection.

So I would be careful about the short stop over no matter how nice it seems. If all goes according to plan then yeah it is pretty great to just get the flights and long journey over and done with. But, if all doesnt go to plan (and lets be honest, I think I have had more misses than hits when it comes to airline travel going according to plan) then you are going to face an even longer journey and be changing a lot more than if you had just perhaps taken the flight with the 6/7 hour stop over.

On the plus side mum did say that even though the plane was packed it was a pretty decent journey :)

I am hoping to be able to fly with them when we all head home to Adelaide later this year (opened an ANZ bank account and one of the side deals by doing this is you get 45kg luggage for all account holders! Score!) but I am going for the longer stop over given we have two toddlers and I just know we arent going to make the connecting flight (and besides, its easier to let them run off steam in the airport - which is apparently very clean and nice and lovely - than to have to haul them and all our associated carry ons through the airport at break neck speed to make a connection we probably wouldnt be able to make in the first place!).

Archived