License to work in a bar?

francescad

Hi

I'm moving to Sydney in October and am starting to think about jobs - obviously the ones that spring to mind are bar jobs. However, to work in a bar, I'm aware you need to have a certain qualification - is it necessary to have completed that prior to getting to Aus or can I do it there/get trained by a bar?

Can anyone shed any light on this? Any info would be great!

Thanks,

Francesca

You can do the RSA course online here http://www.onlinersa.com.au/. However not all states accept online courses, and the ones that do wont accept certificates from other states. So if you're doing it online you have to select which state you want to work in a bar and complete that associated certificate (Provided that state accepts online courses).

On the other hand (im not 100% sure on this) i believe doing it in person when you get there is slightly more expensive but its easier to get one that can be used across multiple states.

Pro's and cons to both i guess, i havnt decided which im going to do.

hay francescad

i worked in a bar in oz and Uprawr is correct you need an RSA certificate to work, you can work for 2 weeks without it but need to provide it after that, (that is what i was told may have changed now) but look out on Ozzy Groupon etc as they have offers on online RSA all the time i got 2 for me and partner for $60 if you go direct to the company you pay 3x that and it is super easy i mean stupid easy..... e.g. if a person seems intoxicated do you ...a. offer them an alcoholic drink, b. offer them a non alcoholic drink, c. aggressively ask them to leave etc etc

JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET A MULTI STATE RSA

they email your certificate once completed, you dont need any training nor special skills its just common sense.

easy peasy

hope this helps

i did mine yesterday to and it cost me $15 and that covers all states other than victoria. I think Victoria is the only one that you have to do in person at a class. You can do a comparison cost on google.

I used galaxytraining.com. It says it takes 2-3 hours but it was about 45 minutes tops and they email you a certificate when you have completed and paid :)

Archived