189 visa

187 visa not 189

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it possible to applied for this visa via direct entry even though I don't have an employer to sponsor me?

Direct Entry stream

You might be able to get this visa under the Direct Entry stream if one of the following applies to you:

• have been nominated for a position under this stream (or were nominated for a position before 1 July 2012) and that nomination has been approved
  • you have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia
  • you hold a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) but do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream
  • you are applying directly from outside Australia.

The second and last point apply to me. If so, how do I go about applying for this?

thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it possible to applied for this visa via direct entry even though I don't have an employer to sponsor me?

Direct Entry stream

You might be able to get this visa under the Direct Entry stream if one of the following applies to you:

• have been nominated for a position under this stream (or were nominated for a position before 1 July 2012) and that nomination has been approved

• you have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia

• you hold a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) but do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream

• you are applying directly from outside Australia.

The second and last point apply to me. If so, how do I go about applying for this?

thanks

I'm confused (though it may be you who's confused). You've asked about a 189 but the Direct Entry stream info in your post is a copy and paste of information about the 186 (or perhaps 187) employer sponsored visa.

The 189 is an independent, points tested visa and no employer sponsorship is required. You must have an occupation on the SOL, a positive skills assessment in that occupation and a score of at least 60 points on the points test. When you meet those requirements, you lodge an EOI and must wait until you receive an invitation to apply for a visa. If your occupation is only on the CSOL and not also on the SOL, you are not eligible for a 189. A new SOL will be released within the next week or so and some occupations will be added (some are already announced) and some may be removed.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/sol.pdf The current SOL. Already announced are the additions of Chef, Bricklayer and Tiler.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/189.aspx 189 visa

Archived