Renting a home in the UK after living abroad

Aunt Agatha

Thought I'd share a letting agent's response to my question re how letting works when you haven't lived in the UK for a while:

"When we rent a property out to a potential tenant, they have to provide proof of address (i.e. a utility bill), proof of ID, a work reference and a landlord reference (if they are currently renting), if none or any of these can be provided they would need a guarantor who would need to provide all of the above. Or the other option is to pay 6 months upfront."

Looks like I'll be buying my sister a box of chocolates and asking her to be a guarantor for us!

I can't remember how we got around this. We went back to UK after over a decade away and of course had no UK bills or anything. I think we registered our bank account at a friends' house and used that as a bill, plus showed a UK work contract and a translated letter from our landlord in Europe with copy of the rental contract. We didn't get asked for the guarantor though and just paid 2 months deposit.

Most (if not all) agencies now use one of the 'credit check' companies and then offer rent guarantee to the landlords. It is these companies that insist on the terms the OP has described. The only way around this is to pay the 6 months upfront plus deposit which covers the period of most short assured tenancies.

NWM

Yes unfortunately there is no getting around it anymore. I suppose it's good for landlords who have had people default on rent, bit annoying for honest folk who don't have that credit history for legitimate reasons. Best keep saving hard in case we go down the six months rent in advance route!

How long do most people take to find a longer term rental?

Expecting to pay 6 months upfront but more wondering how long it takes in terms of finding something reasonable and what time period is most common.

Is it 6 months or 12 months? Would be buying but not sure if 6 months is enough time?

Do you mean how long are people looking before they find a suitable rental? I'm hoping it's really quick as we need something ASAP after arrival back in the UK.

Yes, thinking hotel after flight then a b&b

I guess it's dependant upon what you are looking for. If you want a particular style of property or a home in a high owner-occupier area then it could take months for something to come onto the rental market. If you're flexible then I would imagine it's fairly quick. Thankfully most of us UK returnees have the advantage of being able to do a lot of the research online and with no property to sell or lease to break we can move swiftly and jump on properties as soon as they come up.

Archived