Hi not so new viewers

Guest teresa

We have our visas to go to Victoria NSW, with our two kids 14 and 10yrs, we ourselves are 46yrs, but I am the one holding things back as I am, not to say the least, so indecisive. At times I feel positive (during the day for some reason) and want to go, but when I start thinking deeply, ie leaving family/friends, no security on the job front, the unknown, when we are old and the endless 'what ifs' I go into panick mode. I just wish I was 10yrs younger, when perhaps getting old didn't quite come into the equasion and maybe more able to deal with change.

Is there anyone out there in our age group taking this huge step or anyone who maybe feeling the same, but no matter what, are still leaving the Uk.

From a perhaps wannabe pom

Guest Josephine

Hi Teresa,

I am 45 and have just applied for a spouse visa. I have never been to Oz before and yes, I do sometimes fear the unknown. However, I am also looking forward to unknown. A new life, new start and opportunties yet to be discovered.

If you don't take the opportunity offered you, you will always wonder what if. So my advice would be to bite the bullet and go, ' cause with international travel, the internet and telephone calls, Oz is not that far away.

Good luck

Josephine

Guest nuttycaz

Hi

We are both 40 and have been in Australia for 8 months. Our children are 10 and 14 also. We couldnt have asked for a more positive reaction from them, they both had mixed feelings about the move but have settled very very well here and have made great friends. As everyone does both my husband and I have had ups and downs but I do not regret the move at all. Good luck with all your plans.

Cazzy

Thank you Josephine and Cazzy for your replies, a minute doesn't pass me by without thinking 'what shall we do' I have even gone as far as looking at property to buy here in the UK but can't get away from the fact that we have a chance to bring our children up somewhere nicer, with better prospects for when they finish their education and in a safer enviroment.

Even my mom 87yrs old is telling me to go even though she will miss us badly. I guess everyone making this decision must go over things again and again, I know I am not alone just need the courage and positive thinking to do it.

Hi Teresa,

Hubby and i are both 42, our children are 11 and 7. I'll be 43 a couple of weeks after we arrive. I don't want to look back in later life and think wish we'd have gone - if it doesn't work out, it'll be an experience, sometimes I think being older is a benefit, we're more likely to be realistic about things and leave the rose coloured specs at home. We know we'll have to work hard and re-establish ourselves, but we're old and wise now lol

Ali

Guest FiremanMart

Hi Teresa,

I suppose that what you are looking for are some great words of wisdom that will wash away the doubts you have. Well I am not intelligent enough to offer you that BUT what I would say is look at what it is that prompted you to consider this life changing decision in the first place. Look at both where you want to live (Australia) and where you currently live. Compare the two and decide which will offer you the best opportunities as you grow older, both for you and your children? Which will be the best environment to raise your children...Where are you more likely to flourish financially... When you think of Australia, what do you picture yourself doing? Going to the Beach, sitting in your back yard enjoying the weather etc.etc. What do you picture yourself doing in this country in say 5 years time?...

If at the end of the day, things don't work out in Oz for you all, you can come home knowing that you tried it and at the very least, you will all be much richer for the experience BUT you will know then what it was like. Please don't grow old regretting that you had the chance to make a better life for yourself and your family BUT didn't.

My wife Lorraine is 38 and I am 37. We don't plan on setting up home in Oz until the summer of 2008 as my 16 year old Son wants to finish his 'A' Levels first. My Daughter will then be 15. I don't think that I have any advantage over you in being a few years younger. The amount of work we will have to do when we get there will be no different. Your children will certainly appreciate the adventurous lifestyle on offer alot more at their age now than they would have done if they were 10 years younger. And they are old enough to share and confide in you about all their experiences in Oz...and Vice Versa!!.

I am a Firefighter and Lorraine is a Palliative Nurse and we both appreciate how fragile life is. You only have one chance & some people don't even have that. Please don't waste it !!

I hope you have the strength to see it through.

With Kind regards and best wishes to you and your family.

Guest Missiemo
Hi Teresa,

I suppose that what you are looking for are some great words of wisdom that will wash away the doubts you have. Well I am not intelligent enough to offer you that BUT what I would say is look at what it is that prompted you to consider this life changing decision in the first place. Look at both where you want to live (Australia) and where you currently live. Compare the two and decide which will offer you the best opportunities as you grow older, both for you and your children? Which will be the best environment to raise your children...Where are you more likely to flourish financially... When you think of Australia, what do you picture yourself doing? Going to the Beach, sitting in your back yard enjoying the weather etc.etc. What do you picture yourself doing in this country in say 5 years time?...

If at the end of the day, things don't work out in Oz for you all, you can come home knowing that you tried it and at the very least, you will all be much richer for the experience BUT you will know then what it was like. Please don't grow old regretting that you had the chance to make a better life for yourself and your family BUT didn't.

My wife Lorraine is 38 and I am 37. We don't plan on setting up home in Oz until the summer of 2008 as my 16 year old Son wants to finish his 'A' Levels first. My Daughter will then be 15. I don't think that I have any advantage over you in being a few years younger. The amount of work we will have to do when we get there will be no different. Your children will certainly appreciate the adventurous lifestyle on offer alot more at their age now than they would have done if they were 10 years younger. And they are old enough to share and confide in you about all their experiences in Oz...and Vice Versa!!.

I am a Firefighter and Lorraine is a Palliative Nurse and we both appreciate how fragile life is. You only have one chance & some people don't even have that. Please don't waste it !!

I hope you have the strength to see it through.

With Kind regards and best wishes to you and your family.

What a wonderful and fantastic post, I could not have said it better myself, even though we are aready living in OZ, and have only been here 3 months we still have our down days, but after reading this I am so very glad we made the decision.

Good on you for such good words, hopefully it will help other wanabee poms make the right decision.

Take Care

Missiemo

Archived