Buying a car in WA?

rickandange

Hi All

I'm sorry if this is something which has been asked loads of times before, but I'm just wondering what documentation I'll have to have in place prior to buying a car in WA?

I'm going to have to hit the ground running ready for starting work so soon after we arrive, so I was wondering if I get my ATM card and Medicare card sorted in the first few days (plus UK passport and drivers licence), whether this would be sufficient? I suppose the key thing I need to know is whether my UK driving licence will be sufficient (as I know I can drive on it for the first 3 months I think), or whether I'll need to get a WA licence before being able to buy?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Hi, just to confirm, you need nothing to buy a car, assuming your buying it cash and not on HP. An address if necessary to send the documentation to is key, as you only get one letter when the Rego is due, and if you miss that, then you could run out of Rego, which is a pain. You can however track and pay on-line so its not the end of the world.

Gumtree is a great place to start, you can get good value for money.

Nick

Also remember they will send the duty payment a few weeks later. So make sure you know it's coming.

If a dealer knows you are fresh off the boat, they usually forget to tell you (so you think the car is cheaper).

Cheers chaps. So providing the car is covered by an existing rego, then it's just a case of filling in the MR9 form and waiting for them to contact me with the bill for the transfer fees?

Pretty much. Rego is either 6 or 12 months. You can pay the transfer fees, when you buy the car, it's what I've done since I now know about it.

If you have a UK licence, you may need to take a bill of some kind with your new address. Maybe your rental contract.

• 2 weeks later...

When buying, double check all the dates on the service history booklets. We were just informed that the odometer on our car has been turned back by roughly 140.000 kms. The service history book seemed ok when we bought it, but apparently is was all fake. We were shown that the date of the service booklet itself (printed on each page on a Toyota Prado booklet) did not match the car as it was far too knew... bad luck. Ripped of by an Italian. Luckily the guy is apprehended. We are now taking the means to get our money back (which could take a while :wacko:)

Archived