Rental Applications

jeza77

Hi I'm arriving in Sydney on Friday and will start looking at apartments straight away.

I was reading a century 21 application form that said ' if accepted you agree to pay 1 weeks rent which is non refundable if you wish not to proceed'

Does this mean I should only apply for one apartment at a time and wait days for them to decide if I'm accepted or not?

I was hoping to apply for 2 or 3 and hope I was accepted for one. But if I got accepted for 2 places I would have to pay 1 weeks rent to the agency I turned down?

Can someone give me some tips on renting please

Also regarding the 100 point check i remember reading that a passport is enough if you've just moved over? Is this right?

Thanks

I have heard of this in some States and it seems wrong as it means you cant apply for a few at the same time, without being hit in the pocket if your succesful. It doesnt happen in Brisbane so i dont know if there is a way around it.

The applications are on 100 points but just providing a passport is unlikely to get you a successful application.

First up, write a cover letter explaining your new to the country hence lack of Australian references , paperwork etc.

A copy of healthy bank balance or offering a few months rent up front will help, especially if you have yet to secure work.

If you do have a job to come to, ask the boss to write a quick later stating when your job starts, salary etc.

Submitt some uk bills that you have paid up, statements from mortgage etc just to proove you pay your bills.

A copy of a driving licence and passport will give you some points but on their own are highly unlikely to secure you somewhere to live.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Hi I'm arriving in Sydney on Friday and will start looking at apartments straight away.

I was reading a century 21 application form that said ' if accepted you agree to pay 1 weeks rent which is non refundable if you wish not to proceed'

Does this mean I should only apply for one apartment at a time and wait days for them to decide if I'm accepted or not?

I was hoping to apply for 2 or 3 and hope I was accepted for one. But if I got accepted for 2 places I would have to pay 1 weeks rent to the agency I turned down?

Can someone give me some tips on renting please

Also regarding the 100 point check i remember reading that a passport is enough if you've just moved over? Is this right?

Thanks

That fee doesn't seem very fair, does it! I would guess that you would only be able to apply for one at a time in that case. Might be worth checking with some other agents, as I wonder if this is a company thing rather than a state thing?

With regards to the 100 point check, I would recommend getting together all of the information that you need prior to viewing anywhere. That way, you will be immediately ready to go with your application if you find somewhere that you like. We had to provide the usual 100 points, a passport wasn't enough, although this was over 5 years ago now. I would recommend a photocopy of your passport, a copy of a payslip or a copy of your contract with salary on or a copy of your bank statement if you don't have work yet, showing that you have the funds to pay rent. I would also get something like a reference letter from your UK landlord or estate agent if you had a house to sell, stating that you looked after your property. Other than that I think we had letters from our Australian bank from where we had opened our bank account, and our temporary medicare card (which was actually a slip of paper with the number on - they issue that immediately when you go to apply for your card).

In NSW when we were applying for rentals a few months ago we applied for 2 rentals at the same time and were accepted for both of them. From what I understand (might be different among states/agencies) after you confirm that you want the apartment/unit./house that you were accepted for, they will ask for a non-refundable deposit of 1st week rent. So, you may apply for as many properties as you like, but after you confirm one and pay the deposit, you can not change your mind or you will loose the deposit.

In my case, after I accepted the first apartment, when the second real estate agent called that we were also accepted, I just let her know that we already decided on another place.

As for the rest of the questions, I agree with previous comments. We went for each apartment inspection with copies of all the most important documents (passports, visas, AU bank account summary, medicare, my job offer confirmation, reference letter from Germany) and with a cover letter.

Archived