is Carlingford, Sydney a safe suburb?

pinkloonytoons

Hi All

We are moving to Sydney in June, hubby has been posted there (navy), we've been offered defence housing in Carlingford.......I'm a registered nurse and we have 2 kids, aged 7 and 8. Could anybody give us any info about the suburb please...?? We've googled all sorts of websites, we thought Carlingford West primary school looks good and the shopping centres close by, are the transport links as poor as what I have read? Is it a safe area? Is childcare available? (I believe there is OOSH attached to the school, have I got this right???) Have read this suburb is predominantly chinses/Korean. We'd be grateful for all thoughts and opinions......

Thanks

Don't live in Carlingford but it is a good suburb, and yes many Asians do live there. Carlingford West is a good school. I knew the principal but don't know if

he is still there. I imagine the bus service is good and it is close to Epping Station. Sorry I can't be of more help.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All

We are moving to Sydney in June, hubby has been posted there (navy), we've been offered defence housing in Carlingford.......I'm a registered nurse and we have 2 kids, aged 7 and 8. Could anybody give us any info about the suburb please...?? We've googled all sorts of websites, we thought Carlingford West primary school looks good and the shopping centres close by, are the transport links as poor as what I have read? Is it a safe area? Is childcare available? (I believe there is OOSH attached to the school, have I got this right???) Have read this suburb is predominantly chinses/Korean. We'd be grateful for all thoughts and opinions......

Thanks

I'm no Pom but will try to answer your question as we moved from the Uk almost 2 years ago. Me, my partner and our daughter are currently located in the North Shore, but are looking to buy a house around Carlingford or the North Rocks. It's a nice place to live, but not as posh as some places around the North Shore. We are renting as we can't afford to buy where we are at the moment, but Carlingford is still acceptable and a bit cheaper/affordable. The Asians are everywhere now, but I think Chatswood has the most Chinese/Korean population as yet :)They are nice though so don't worry.

The M2 motorway can be a nightmare at peak hour traffic and it's not a toll free road so be prepared for some extra expenses. Think it's around $6,50 each way if you're travelling into the city, which adds up to be quite a lot within a year unfortunately. There is also a train station, but it's not on the "best/fastest" line from what I heard. We are willing to accept that fact just so that we can live in a nice area and in a house. The only thing we can afford close to the city is an apartment, which I don't want at all.

Don't know much about childcare for 7-8 year olds, but I know there are plenty of nanny agencies. It's quite pricey though. I have a 8 month old and will be looking into a day care centre for her when we move. The waiting lists can be up to a year and from what I was quoted at my current suburb, it's going to cost $140 a day...You can get as much as half of that amount back from the government, but haven't looked carefully into that yet. Also the younger the child, the more expensive.

Have you registered with the nursing board yet? If not you would want to do that ASAP if you plan on working. I applied for my nursing registration here in NSW around 9 months ago and I'm still bloody waiting. They take forever I tell you!!

Good luck with your move.

Archived