I am just about ready to submit my application to be added to my partners visa. I just have a few questions:

1. Is it necessary to send personal statements from both of us and what should they say / where should I start?

2. Do I need to arrange a Police check?

3. Do I need to arrange a medical?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

one more...

4. Is it possible to send cards / letters etc by post or is it better to scan them in and upload them electronically? I know I can only upload up to 20 attachments and I have been told to add photographs in - most of that has already been taken up!

Q1-3 depend upon your individual circumstance.

Q4 - the 457 visa is an online application only.

Can I be quite honest and say your post makes me suspect that very little research has been made. For your own sake you need to ensure you fully understand the requirements before making an application, people who don't are the ones that get rejected. You may well get some accurate answers here, but there's also tons of wrong and/or useless advice every day. It's your responsibility to decide if it's right or not and you can only do that by researching yourself.

Thank you for your reply Adam Grey. I was hoping someone would clarify if the above checks were necessary or only upon request. As I would hate to submit the application then be told I have 28 days to upload a police check and it not arrive in time!

When my partner was sponsored he applied through an agent. I unfortunately do not have the thousands of dollars for this so I'm just trying to find out as much about other people's experiences as possible.

I am also getting false information from agents I have approached and still for some reason cannot access the immi site.

I can appreciate that, but the problem with this site and other forums is that one persons experience often does not relate to another's circumstance. I see so many posts along the lines of "I sailed through my application and did this and this and this, so you should too".....It's nonsense, the system has far too many variables for a person to give good advice based on one experience.

Police checks and/or medicals are not mandatory for a 457. If you do require them you don't have to supply them at the time of application, but the would need to be supplied before a decision would be made. The reasons why you may require them depend upon your circumstances and would require someone to know a lot of details which I doubt you'll want to go into over a forum. You generally have 28 days to respond to a request.

Archived