Social worker with potential 60 points, does this guarantee invitation to apply?

kmrg

Hi all

I am a qualified social worker with one years experience, but lots of pre qualification experience. I am looking to apply for residence visa next year once I have two years experience.

Due to conbination of age and years post qualified experience I have found that I will only be able to get maximum of 60 if I get score of 8 on IELTS. Do I stand a good chance of being invited to apply for visa with 60 points? Or should I consider state sponsorship to get extra 5 points?

Obviously this is all dependent on getting a score of 8 on IELTS which may not be that easy!

Thanks

Hey, I don't know which visa you're looking at, but if you qualified in the uk ex Scotland and have to take the skills assessment then you'll need to be eligible for aasw registration, meaning you'll need four years PQ experience in order to pass the skills assessment. This is because the social work degree in aus is four years as opposed to three years in England and Wales, so the extra years training is replaced by four years experience.

of course the whole thing is a joke given many social workers in Oz didn't take specific social work degrees, aasw registration isn't mandatory as it is in the uk, and the whole social services system, for adults at least, is approx fifteen years behind the uk.

Ps a warning as this info may be outdated - I was last researching it properly in 2010. But looking at the aasw website today it says you need at least three years' experience outside Oz, or one years' experience in Oz...

I am not sure if this will make a difference, but I have a first degree which was 3 years study in economic and social history, then did MSC social work which was two years?

The problem is once I have 4 years post qualification experience I will be 36/37 and so close to getting less points for age.

I am considering speaking to an agent as I have done alot of research but still not clear to me if I will qualify!

It's tricky to find the info isn't it! I was looking at this document but it doesn't mention anything about a masters degree. Maybe you could email aasw and ask them to clarify what (if any) PQ experience you'd need in order to pass the skills assessment?

http://www.aasw.asn.au/document/item/4393

hopefully someone else will be along to offer advice about whether you should look for state sponsorship :-)

Looking at that document it seems I will need 3 years post qualifying experience. I have emailed them with all my details to clarify.

Thanks for your help.

There seems to be alot of threads on here about nursing but not much on social work!

For any other social workers who are interested this is the reply I got from AASW.

Dear Katey,

Thank you for your email.

Provided that your qualification meets our criteria you will not be required to provide evidence of post qualifying work experience. The assessment of skilled employment claims is an optional part of the assessment.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

[TABLE=class: ecxMsoNormalTable, width: 278]

[TR]

[TD=width: 186]National Office – Melbourne

Level 7, 14-20 Blackwood Street

North Melbourne VIC 3051

Postal Address:

PO Box 2008

Royal Melbourne Hospital

VIC 3050

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 369, colspan: 2][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 369, colspan: 2]GetInline.aspx?messageid=9322dacc-e9e3-11e3-b1b4-00215ad74ad4&attindex=0&cp=-1&attdepth=0&imgsrc=cid%3aimage001.jpg%4001CF7E44.0174EE30&cid=10314052155604b3&shared=1&hm__login=kateymcnicholas&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.211.16.8&d=d2321&mf=0&hm__ts=Mon%2c%2002%20Jun%202014%2012%3a14%3a57%20GMT&st=kateymcnicholas&hm__ha=01_6bddeda22e3fd91b97dcdcbcd399e2d1041a40e6e84de64d1926329c467ef221&oneredir=1

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hi Katy,

So, I won't comment on the skills assessment and ILETS 8, but I can help with your other questions.

Firstly, there is never a guarantee of being invited, no matter how many points you have. :(

However, in your case, you have an occupation on SOL which is great, and in terms of the states, there are seven states looking for Social Workers (only NSW is not offering 190's), which is almost as good as it gets. That said, we always have to warn people that the states, and indeed the occupations, are subject to change. The new occupation list will come out July 1st.

Regarding your points, you have the option of applying for both the 189 and 190 at the same time, so in effect one application will have 60 points, the other 65.

I should also say that as you probably know, people are selected on the basis of points, the more points you have the higher up the list you are. So, it really depends on the competition for the places, if there's lots of people applying, you want more points to appear higher up the list than other people.

Best of luck with your IELTS 8, I am sure you will ace it.

Chris Peck, Bravo Migration Edited by noworriesmate
forum rules