looking to relocate to Australia

matthealey

hiya everyone, we are new to all this and looking to relocate to Australia to live and work. I'm a qualified Prison Officer and my wife is a qualified Childminder , but we didn't realise how complicated the process would be. Just finding the right information to start the whole process is very difficult, has anyone else had the same problem and any advise on best way to start ? Thanks Matt and Kameill

I would suggest looking at visa options and if you are entitled for one. My hubby worked in the prison service and would not be entitled for sponsorship or a visa with just that hence why I'm now doing a nursing degree. Only place that does is New Zealand if you meet the criteria. Im

unsure what your wife's qualifications are but a childminder is also very unlikely to be able to gain a visa. Don't want to sound negative but before you get your hopes up I would check this out ?

hiya everyone, we are new to all this and looking to relocate to Australia to live and work. I'm a qualified Prison Officer and my wife is a qualified Childminder , but we didn't realise how complicated the process would be. Just finding the right information to start the whole process is very difficult, has anyone else had the same problem and any advise on best way to start ? Thanks Matt and Kameill

The first thing to do is to see if your occupations are on the SOL or CSOL, that is the skilled occupation lists. You can find the lists on http://www.immi.gov.au if you use the search function on that website. I have had a quick look and prison officer is on the CSOL, this means you can only move to Australia with a sponsor and in these types of jobs that is almost certainly going to mean an employer sponsor.

So where to start would be to look up the prison services, see if any are recruiting or otherwise contact them speculatively.

Childcare occupations are not typically in the skilled occupation lists, but I believe that childcare centre manager is, so if your wife is a manager then it would be worth looking into that further too.

In Victoria the regional prisons seem to advertise for officers quite regularly and may be up for sponsorship if they have trouble filling roles, but you would need to look up what their requirements are for residency status. These would all be 1-2 hours from Melbourne. Google prison officers Victoria and see what you can find out.

Archived