Easiest way to go from WHV to PR?

Keepyourpantson

Hi guys!

Just found out about this forum today, seems very useful!

So I'm currently on a WHV in Oz and I would really like to stay.

I'm 23 years old (24 in a couple of months), I have a 'Senior Secondary Vocational Education' degree as an IT Administrator, some IT certificates and I have about 2,5 years experience working on a Service Desk. 3,5 years experience if you count internships.

I have a temp contract with an Australian company but they were unable to offer me sponsorship since they are in the middle of Sydney and it's a 'general' role.

Unfortunately I don't have any family here, and my funds are limited. I could most likely not afford a Bachelor program.

Now there's a few options I could go for:

State sponsorship (189/489) through Canberra (ICT Support Engineer 263212). The problem with this is that the occupation is limited on their list. This means I need to do a Skill Assessment through ACS, they require me to have 5 years experience on a similar position which I do not have.

Canberra itself asks for 3 years experience so there might be something possible here.

Study a course of 2 years through TAFE (still need to look into what course) and afterwards apply for a 485 (Temp Graduate) visa, then I will have another 2 years to work and I can always see what happens from there.

I could also look into studies in a specific state and afterwards try for a 189/489 visa but I still need to do some research for this.

I would love to hear your guys opinions!

Cheers.

I'm in the process of going from a WHV to PR at the moment. I'm sorry to say its not cheap. For my wife and I, it has cost about $7000 after ACS, IELTS, application fees, medicals and police checks.

All in all, the process has been really quick. We started on 28 January and are now awaiting a CO for our application.

if you don't have much money, I'd suggest doing the ACS assessment first, before paying out for anything else, just in case it comes back negative.

Hi guys!

Just found out about this forum today, seems very useful!

So I'm currently on a WHV in Oz and I would really like to stay.

I'm 23 years old (24 in a couple of months), I have a 'Senior Secondary Vocational Education' degree as an IT Administrator, some IT certificates and I have about 2,5 years experience working on a Service Desk. 3,5 years experience if you count internships.

I have a temp contract with an Australian company but they were unable to offer me sponsorship since they are in the middle of Sydney and it's a 'general' role.

Unfortunately I don't have any family here, and my funds are limited. I could most likely not afford a Bachelor program.

Now there's a few options I could go for:

State sponsorship (189/489) through Canberra (ICT Support Engineer 263212). The problem with this is that the occupation is limited on their list. This means I need to do a Skill Assessment through ACS, they require me to have 5 years experience on a similar position which I do not have.

Canberra itself asks for 3 years experience so there might be something possible here.

Study a course of 2 years through TAFE (still need to look into what course) and afterwards apply for a 485 (Temp Graduate) visa, then I will have another 2 years to work and I can always see what happens from there.

I could also look into studies in a specific state and afterwards try for a 189/489 visa but I still need to do some research for this.

I would love to hear your guys opinions!

Cheers.

It doesn't sound to me like you have any realistic options. Go back to the UK, establish yourself in career that you want to do and come back to this later.

Archived