Australian certificates

Hi Everyone

I am NVQ level 3 qualified as a rigger in the oil and gas sector in the UK(offshore rig and oil refinery), and coming to Cairns to live and work in July(visa 489) hopefully to get a job in Queensland. Does anybody know if I need to get any Australian certificates when im there and if so are there any places in Cairns or close by to do them. Thanks for anyone's time with my question.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Kevin

ive been chatting with your lovely wife as well. I'm not in the industry so have no idea, but I may know someone who can help if needed further down the track.

From what I've seen they ask for lots of different tickets (courses) ones I know that they usually ask for are:

1) Working with heights

2) Working in confined spaces

3) Advanced Rigging course.

As you know we don't have a lot up here in cairns but I just did a search and this guy does a couple http://www.csisnq.com.au/training.html it may be worth dropping him a line and seeing if you can RPL (ie if you have already done the above you may be able to skip doing the course, be assessed on your current knowledge and if you know everything that's in the course they will give you a certificate) that's if these courses are eligible for RPL.

Think you'll need to get relevant Aus certs mate.

Have a look at this site: http://www.skillingsolutions.qld.gov.au/

It’s a free Government training and career info service. They will look at your existing UK quals, on the job learnt skills etc to see if it's possible to convert them to recognized Oz qualifications or, if a straight swap isn't a goer they'll help you work out which Aus courses (or parts of courses) you'll need to take to be able to obtain the relevant Oz qualification.

Unfortunately you can't access these services from overseas as you have to be resident in Queensland for them to help you out, so you'll have to wait until you get here and set up a meeting with them.

Best of luck with the move!