State transfer for SN 190 visa holders

shresthaz

I have received SN 190 visa which states that I need to stay first two years in WA. I have been here in Perth for 4 months and I have not been able to find any kind of job what so ever. I have a relative in Sydney who says he can help me find at least some part time job out there. Now the question is can I move to Sydney? If yes, do I need to inform the authorities here and take any sort of release notes from them?

This topic has been discussed many times on this forum. Some people will tell you it's only a moral obligation whilst others(including myself) will tell you to try and honour your commitment to WA.

4 months aren't enough to look for a job given the current market, and if you wish to move interstate, you should seek permission from the State Migration Dept. Do not be surprised if you're asked to try looking for employment for at least a year following which a decision may be made to release you from the commitment.

Good luck!

You have a valid point. But as much as I want to honor my commitment, how do you expect me to sustain here for a year unemployed? WA is expensive. What about returning back to my home country and return after few months when hopefully the job market will be little rosier?

I can totally imagine your situation and the reason I mentioned about trying for at least a year is because I know people who did approach WA state migration and they were asked to try for a year before being allowed to move interstate. However each case is unique and you may stand a chance to be released earlier. It's probably a good idea to compile a list of all the jobs you have applied to along with responses (if any) to prove that you have tried really hard

You have a valid point. But as much as I want to honor my commitment, how do you expect me to sustain here for a year unemployed? WA is expensive. What about returning back to my home country and return after few months when hopefully the job market will be little rosier?

I would suggest to look for jobs also in other states and move if you find something. The job market is tough for new immigrants and wasting a year for job search might not do you any good and will look bad on your CV (that's just my opinion). WA sponsored you to work in you occupation as they think they need people with your skills - it won't be beneficial for them if you stay unemployed or take a unskilled/other job (again - just my opinion). Just email them, describe your situation and don't expect to get any "release" - it's just a moral obligation, so only you can release yourself:)

Best of luck!

shresthaz,

You do NOT need any permission to move interstate or overseas. Your visa allow you to live anywhere in Australia as well as leaving/entering the country multiple times without informing the authorities, In one word you are a free resident and can do whatever you want as long as you obey Australian law.

The only (Moral not Legal) obligation you have based on your visa is to spend the first 2 years in the sponsoring state. Nothing will happen in the future if you do not meet this obligation under current law ( there is always a chance that they change the law and make it compulsory to live and work in the sponsoring state for 2 years).

As JoannaAch mentioned, if you wish you can let the WA migration know that you want to move but do not expect them to give you release letter. Do whatever is best for you and your family.

Best of luck

shresthaz,

You do NOT need any permission to move interstate or overseas. Your visa allow you to live anywhere in Australia as well as leaving/entering the country multiple times without informing the authorities, In one word you are a free resident and can do whatever you want as long as you obey Australian law.

The only (Moral not Legal) obligation you have based on your visa is to spend the first 2 years in the sponsoring state. Nothing will happen in the future if you do not meet this obligation under current law ( there is always a chance that they change the law and make it compulsory to live and work in the sponsoring state for 2 years).

As JoannaAch mentioned, if you wish you can let the WA migration know that you want to move but do not expect them to give you release letter. Do whatever is best for you and your family.

Best of luck

martin did you filled the surveys by the state or not? so far you are the only successful example i have seen.

• 1 month later...
I have received SN 190 visa which states that I need to stay first two years in WA. I have been here in Perth for 4 months and I have not been able to find any kind of job what so ever. I have a relative in Sydney who says he can help me find at least some part time job out there. Now the question is can I move to Sydney? If yes, do I need to inform the authorities here and take any sort of release notes from them?

Hi there,

At the end of the day, what did you do ?

I am exactly in the same situation, struggling to find a job (my occupation is not in the SOL anymore, probably due to the reach of the ceiling)..I have an attractive offer in Sydney and nothing here in WA.

Did you move out ? How did you approach the Skilled Migration office?

Well I have not approached the Migration Office yet as I am still searching for jobs here in WA. However, I have heard from so many posters around here that if you have an offer from outside the state, then you can go to the migration office, show them the offer and can get the release letter easily. I suggest you to go there and talk to them.

Well I have not approached the Migration Office yet as I am still searching for jobs here in WA. However, I have heard from so many posters around here that if you have an offer from outside the state, then you can go to the migration office, show them the offer and can get the release letter easily. I suggest you to go there and talk to them.

Well, I do have a job offer from Sydney: the job offer is related with the skilled occupation WA sponsored me, and (which could make things even a bit easier), part of my tasks will be also taking care of several customers in WA. Let's see...

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I do have a job offer from Sydney: the job offer is related with the skilled occupation WA sponsored me, and (which could make things even a bit easier), part of my tasks will be also taking care of several customers in WA. Let's see...

Have you approached migration WA and receive the release letter?

Have you approached migration WA and receive the release letter?

Done.

They did not issue a "release" letter, they just let me go. I guess they analyzed my situation, and the fact that I was not moving to anther state to "look for something", but I had a written proposal (offer of employment, in my case).

They wrote me "...we encourage you to stay and work in WA..." ("encourage" doesn't look compulsory at all), ..... "...If you move to another State, please continue to keep your contact details and email address up-to-date..... "

Done.

They did not issue a "release" letter, they just let me go. I guess they analyzed my situation, and the fact that I was not moving to anther state to "look for something", but I had a written proposal (offer of employment, in my case).

They wrote me "...we encourage you to stay and work in WA..." ("encourage" doesn't look compulsory at all), ..... "...If you move to another State, please continue to keep your contact details and email address up-to-date..... "

That's (more or less) the same letter I received from Vic, when I informed them that I moved to another state.

Archived