Uk Student loan repayment

dong5064

My daughter is currently part way through a University Degree, and has a student loan. However, we will be immigrating to Australia this summer, before she completes her degree. Please can someone advise us on what we should do regarding her outstanding loan.

When we get to Australia she will go back to University to continue her degree, so she is not in a position where she can repay her student loan in the UK, however, we do not know if there are any repercussions if she does this. Or if she does not repay at all, what could happen.

If she does want to repay, would the UK be acceptable to waiting several years until she qualifies, and would then be in a position to repay in instalments.

Any advice anyone can give us, we would be very grateful. :confused:

My daughter is currently part way through a University Degree, and has a student loan. However, we will be immigrating to Australia this summer, before she completes her degree. Please can someone advise us on what we should do regarding her outstanding loan.

When we get to Australia she will go back to University to continue her degree, so she is not in a position where she can repay her student loan in the UK, however, we do not know if there are any repercussions if she does this. Or if she does not repay at all, what could happen.

If she does want to repay, would the UK be acceptable to waiting several years until she qualifies, and would then be in a position to repay in installments.

Any advice anyone can give us, we would be very grateful. :confused:

She will need to negotiate how the loan is to be paid off (it is not a case of 'wanting' to pay it off) from Australia.

I would suggest she contacts the relevant loan authority before you leave.

If you move abroad, you're responsible for informing the SLC and agreeing a repayment plan. You don't need to make payments on the loan until your income surpasses the repayment threshold.

I doubt the SLC would pursue you overseas, but you'd likely be pursued and obliged to make back payments if you ever returned to the UK.

There is a form on the SLC website about moving overseas - you show how you intend to financially survive and they then decide how much you pay. In this case as long as there is proof that she will still be a student then I'm sure it would be held off until she has finished - they've given my husband and I 8 months without repayment and then to reassess when sorted with jobs etc. don't get me wrong I'm making it sound more straight forward than the conversations I tried to have with them haha! I'd advise just asking them to send the form and then fill in and then let them assess as I found nobody I spoke to really knew what would happen - though maybe I was unlucky - but once we just filled in the forms it was very easy to sort!

Thanks for this thread....my partner has his student loan debt still and we were wondering how he would go about repaying when we move to Aust and Bubble you gave us the answer we needed - thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived