A Gentle Plea....

Guest Gollywobbler

Guest Gollywobbler

This is a gentle plea on behalf of the English language.

The word "definite" derives from the verb "define." There is no such word as "defane." The adjective of define is definite. The adverb of define is definitely.

Please can we avoid mangling a very rich and beautiful language with this ghastly word "definately" - which does not exist in English?

Perhaps people can be persuaded to humour me about this one?

Thanks very much

Gill :) :?

Oh Gill, is that the ONLY mis-spelled word on here that annoys you?? My favourite for that particular word was "defiantly"...it somehow captured the spirit so much better in the context than the correct spelling!!

Please take this in the spirit in which it is intended - just a bit of fun ;-)

The word "definite" derives from the verb "define."

Surely "is derived from" would be better?

Please can we avoid mangling a very rich and beautiful language with this ghastly word "definately" - which does not exist in English?

Either "can we please" or "please, can we" would certainly be an improvement here. Also, the fragment at the end - "which does not exist in English" makes no sense - English what?

I just don't know where to begin with this bit - "Perhaps I can persuade people...?" Spelling is impeccable, though ;-)

Cheers

Choobs

You know I have often thought how nice it is that people on this website are helpful and friendly and non-offensive however badly written or naive someone's message might be. But I suppose it was only a matter of time!

I have to agree with previous poster though, it is nice to think about something other than visas!

Choobs,

Would you like to come and teach my English class? You would be so much better than me :lol:

Nah - I'm too much of a pedant and don't have the patience of a saint! :) Interestingly, though, I did hear a nice story once:

A school janitor was getting a bit fed up because a group of older girls had developed a habit of popping into the loos to put their makeup on and then leaving a dirty great kissmark on the mirror. Every morning he'd come in and spend ages cleaning the lipstick off.

Finally, he'd grown a bit fed up of this and decided it needed sorting out, so had a word with the headmaster. The headmaster called all the older girls into the loos. "Girls," he explained, "we have a bit of a problem. Some of you are kissing the mirror after putting your lipstick on and causing no end of work for the janitor. So you have an idea of how much work is involved, I'd like the janitor to demonstrate the cleaning process."

Taking this as his cue, the janitor produced a squeegee, stuck it down the pan of the nearest toilet, and wiped the mirror clean with it.

No more lipstick marks were seen on the mirror. There's "teaching" and there's "education" :)

Cheers

Choobs

The word "definite" derives from the verb "define." There is no such word as "defane." The adjective of define is definite. The adverb of define is definitely.

Thanks very much

How ridiculous. You clearly have too much time on your hands.

Thanks very much

How ridiculous. You clearly have too much time on your hands.

<way off topic>

aBSolOotully! Hoo caErs whuTHir or noT eNyWun can akchUlly reEd wHot is bEenG RiTtEn.

On the other hand, as written language is possibly the only thing that distinguishes us from the rest of the animal kingdom some of the time, perhaps it's worth cherishing ;-)

Cheers

Choobs

And to totally digress, is that your name that has popped up on Austimeline Gill?

Please forgive me for starting a sentence with an And...

Gill, come on, spill the beans, tell us your good news!

GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLL ARE YOU THERE???????????????

Archived