Transferring money before I go

Uprawr

Hi all, sorry if this has already been answered but I couldn't find the specifics. I'm heading to oz in 4 months and I'd like to take advantage of any good exchange rates in that time. I'm aware that I can transfer money via a broker eg moneycorp however as they arnt insured I don't like the idea of them holding my money for long periods of time. I'm sure it's possible to set up a bank account whilst I'm in the UK, I'm looking into the commonwealth bank of Australia, what I'd like to know is whether it's possible to set up an account and transfer money into it before I go. I get the feeling I would have to validate it personally in branch when I get there before I can transfer anything but I hope that's not the case. Any advice would be much appreciated.

As ting tong says, you can get a UK card that does free withdrawals and avoid and transferring. N&P do a debit card that does this.

While moneycorp is free for PIO members, the rate is worse so essentially you do pay (albeit less than with a higher rate and a fee).

Only thing about using a UK card is that you get the rate one the day so while if it gets better you'll benefit, if it gets worse you'll dip out. Overall dr me though I have benefitted a great deal as the rate was as when we left and improved over our time here. If I'd have transferred at the lower rate I'd have 'lost' a fair whack of cash

Guest John from Moneycorp

Hi all

Just following up on the initial post on this thread.

Moneycorp is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority as an Authorised Payment Institution (API).

Any API is legally required to safeguard client funds in respect of a payment. The most common method, as used by Moneycorp, is by segregating clients’ funds from the company’s own funds in specifically designated safeguarding accounts.

Kind regards

John

Okay it's good to know I can transfer funds into an Aussie bank before I go, cheers JonathanS. That means im not so scared of using a forex broker as they can process my payment immediately instead of holding it for 4 months. I'm not really interested in living off a uk credit card, the one you recommended looks good tingtongman but it still starts charging you interest from the moment you withdraw cash, I can't be bothered to keep on top of that.

The N&P one doesn't charge anything and give a better rate so it's the cheapest way to get cash in Aus hence the recommendation. It's worth it if you a. Think the rate will change in your favour or b. aren't sure you'll spend all the transferred money so it's always in £ you don't pay to change it back. No problem with transfer, just another option :)

Archived