Cancelling a 457

can1983

Hi, I'm after some advice.

I finished with my employer on a 457 in jan. A week after finishing I called the diac to let them know I'd finished and they told me it was the employer's responsibility not mine and that once they heard they would contact me after 90 days if I was onshore and hadn't applied for a new visa. They said typically I would then be told to lodge an application or leave.

fast forward 4 months not a peap from diac, I tried to call waiting over an hour with no luck, have sent emails with no reply

has anyone managed to cancel a 457 when either their employer hasn't told the diac (I guess mine hasn't) or the diac are on go slow!

I'm offshore now and won't be heading back for a while but I'd really like it cancelled because I want my super ;) and also to tie up loose ends

thanks for reading

can

Hi I finished with my employers in February, also on 457. I have not heard anything from immigration either, I will be leaving Australia at the end of the month, so emailed them to let them know and asking them to cancel my visa but again I have not heard anything from them. How do you know though when they cancel your visa, are they meant to send you an email or something informing you of this? maybe you need to contact your employers and tell them they have to inform immigration that you have left.

• 2 weeks later...

Only immigration can cancel your visa. Your ex employer can only inform immigration you are no longer working and request the visa is cancelled. It is then up to immigration to cancel your visa. We have a guy at work who has left and is back in the uk and asked if we could cancel his visa and the above is what we were told.

Did you have any luck can? I have tried phoning immigration but just get left on hold for ages. I seen a form online - 1194 form I think, where temporary residents can ask for visa to be cancelled so they can claim superannuation back, might be worth a try if you are not getting anywhere. So frustrating! Jess :-)

Guest paulandsharron

I came back to the UK in March, although my 457 was valid until July. As soon as I was offshore back in the UK I submitted form 1194 to DIAC and about 6 weeks later I received an email saying my visa was now cancelled. DIAC said it can take up to 8 weeks to process a cancellation request.

I then submitted the DASP form (online) from the ATO website which the ATO use to request payment from the Super fund.

Hope that helps.