UK to Perth - removal costs - May 2014 - quotations

Just in case anyone is interested, we are in the process of getting quotes for our move in September.

First two companies have visited and 1 quote received from Doree Bonner (2nd quote from White and Company due tomorrow via email):

Doree Bonner quote £7972 for a 40" high top container (no difference in price between 40" and 40" hightop apparently so we have gone with the high top)

Breakdown is

Container £7467

Motorbike crate £130

TV crate £45 (optional??)

Car overcrating £330 (optional?)

Insurance 3%

Admin fee 1%

DB also gave us a rough estimate of costs for the car and motorbike for GST and duty in Perth of $1763.00.

So far both companies have estimated the same volume of around 1650-1680 cubic feet. However the lady from White and Company who visited today said that if I declutter the loft this volume could be significantly reduced (she nearly fainted at the sight of the goods stacked in the loft......). W&C would also not crate the TV as they cardboard and overwrap older model TV's which they say is sufficient. Newer flat screen TV's have to be crated as they are less robust. They would also try to avoid overcrating the car as it is an unnecesary expense.

Both companies would pack in 3 days and then transport all the goods (and crated motorbike) via vans to their warehouses to pack into the container. DB are based in High Wycome and W&C and Farnborough so we could easily deliver the car to them ourselves.

Not sure if this is of help to anyone else but hopefully is helpful.

Thanks, good info. How big is your car, or rather what car do you have? Did you look at the price of a smaller container and car shipped separately? £8k is more than I thought shipping would be, but maybe a 20' container would do us without the car. I only want to ship the car in the container if it's a decent saving.

Thanks, good info. How big is your car, or rather what car do you have? Did you look at the price of a smaller container and car shipped separately? £8k is more than I thought shipping would be, but maybe a 20' container would do us without the car. I only want to ship the car in the container if it's a decent saving.

The car is a VW Passat Estate so quite large. I recall from my quotes a year ago that a 20" was around £4-4.5k and the car seperately around £2-£2.2k.

If we can't haggle the price of the 40" down we'll ask the companies to requote on a 20" and car seperately but OH would prefer the car to be in a container as opposed to RORO. I was hoping for the quote to come in around £6-£6.5k...

I am hoping to reduce the quote as the lady from the 2nd company who came today recommended I reclutter the loft and reduce the volume by 30-40% as that area alone was 50-60 boxes.... eeek!! I will be able to get rid of at least 20 boxes of the kids toys and old clothing etc and then start being ruthless with items like books, dvd's and OH and my clothing....

2nd quote in from White and Company at £5979 - there quote includes bike crate but said they will not need to overcrate the car.

A huge difference to the Doree Bonner (£7467 + add-ons) quote and both were for almost the same cubic feet + car + bike... Not sure if DB didn't want the job so quoted high .....unsure.gif

Will go ahead with a third quote to get the lay of the land me thinks....

You're right to get a third quote - Once you have the third quote you'll be able to see if any quotes are an anomaly, and then i'd recommend going back to the one that is out to make sure everything is covered/they haven't done something slightly different that isn't clear to try and understand the price difference. Good luck!

• 4 months later...

The TV crates are a complete rip off, its a strong cardboard box with 4 polystyrene block to hold the TV. They used exactly the same box for my push bike with no charge.

We used Crown Relo and it was £3700 for a 20' container but they overestimated wildly as our stuff would have fit into half a container, all 4 companies estimated the same amount though!

Hi There,which company did you go with in the end?is it worth taking a car to Oz?was told duty & taxes are too high?
We are taking our car. I think it depends on the car you currently have. We have a two year old Audi and it's def worth it when I look at how much we'd get if we sold it in the UK, and what it would be worth in Oz. I have allowed for a healthy amount in my budget for on road costs in Oz...from memory a few thousand AUD. Look at Karman Shipping - they have good estimates. We have gone with Clark & Rose and its £7k including marine insueance for household goods and a 40' high cube. I think I will be paying insurance for the car on top of that...not got to that bit yet.

Quick update: We finally went with PSS based on price and feel. The final price £6255 but just got a "extra" bill for £137 for currency difference. We also took advantage of their offer of a "free" carton of goods weighing up to 25kgs door to Perth Airport and upgraded (£80) for door to door. Container due to sail today according the the tracking.

Just hope Kent Removals in Perth are as good as their UK team who were quite frankly AMAZING! Prompt, efficient, courteous and fantastic sense of humours x 4. They had us packed in 4.5 hours on day 1 and on Day 2 packed the car and bike and household onto the container in 3 hours!

Archived