Ielts test

Louise Henderson

It shouldn't be hard after doing a couple of practice tests. I am not a native english speaker, so for me the writing and speaking part were the hardest. I am also going to retake, and this time I am going to practice these two parts the most :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, We have started the process to migrate to Australia, we're in the 2nd stage of migration and i have to do the ielts test. Has anyone got any tips for the test.

the site http://ielts-simon.com/ helped me alot. Just got my test results today Writing 8, Speaking 8.5, Listening 8 and reading 8. For the writing just use simple error free English and prepare some of the subject matters for the speaking test. Reading and listening is easy as long as you understand the format.

And Practice plenty!

Have a good brekkie on the day, have a bottle of water in there with you. Have 2 pencils and a pencil sharpner, an eraser. If you are up against it in terms of needing the required results, book 2 tests at the same time, this will keep you calm on the first test knowing you have another chance already in the bag a week later, otherwise should you fail, you will find this out after 2 weeks, you will then have to wait an additional 5 weeks (I was in London, could be different elsewhere) before you can get another place. That's 7 weeks between tests, alot of time wasted, bringing your deadline ever closer. When you book a test, specifically ask to have your speaking test early and you may avoid hanging around for up to 4-5 hours to do your speaking test. Also, have a sandwich after the first part of the day so you are not hungry for your speaking test. COMPLAIN, if someone is cheating or putting you off.

I have an IELTS Official Practice Materials book, unused and complete with CD (also unused), worth £10, and a Cambridge IELTS 8 (Official Examination Papers from the University of Cambridge, unused with both CD's (bought for £26.97). If someone wants to PM me and send me £10 to cover the postage, I will post both to you.

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Louise

the best advice I could give you as I had one on one tutoring and I did a course in sydney which both were a complete waste of time, the best thing to do is to get down to your local library and get hold of any "Cambridge university" books on IELTS, I reckon you could even order your own online if your willing to pay for them, it really Is all about self study, take the time to do the reading and writing exercises and use the discs for the listening, I would self study and book the exam go into it open minded and when you get your results after the first time you will know what you need to improve on if that's the case.

i hope this advice is of some use to you.

kind regards

Dean.

Archived