Degrees

Uk hons are equally recognised in most cases here is Aus. There are a few areas that are more tricky, e.g. teaching. But otherwise my husband and I have both found our UK academic qualifications have been held in high esteem here. In fact, in terms of PhD more so as many recognise the more rigorous UK system for this.

I'm not familiar with the concept of doing an extra year for an honours degree in the UK. I thought most degree courses were with honours, unless one isn't up to it and is awarded an "ordinary" degree. IME such "ordinary" degrees are seen as very much second rate; they may or may not impact migration or employment prospects in Australia but they definitely impact prospects in the UK

Caveat on this is the qualification in the first sentence, as it may be the system has changed from what I know (but it seems odd if it has)

Always take the course that keeps the most options open

I recently completed a Cert IV in Training and Assessing a local TAFE in SA. On conversation with the lecturer who asked about my background in the UK, I told her I had an Honours Degree in Business. The lecturer was impressed with my level of work and the fact I had an honours degree in business from the UK, I was subsequently offered a lecturer role at TAFE on an initial casual basis. The fact that I had an honours degree would allow me to teach at a higher level as opposed to someone with a degree and it was valued as an asset by the TAFE.

Just my experience, but the higher the qualification, the more opportunities are available if you know where to look

I'm not familiar with the concept of doing an extra year for an honours degree in the UK. I thought most degree courses were with honours, unless one isn't up to it and is awarded an "ordinary" degree. IME such "ordinary" degrees are seen as very much second rate; they may or may not impact migration or employment prospects in Australia but they definitely impact prospects in the UK

Caveat on this is the qualification in the first sentence, as it may be the system has changed from what I know (but it seems odd if it has)

Always take the course that keeps the most options open

Agree, that was just what I was thinking. Everyone I know got an honours degree at the end of a three year course. I thout must be engineering that is different perhaps. Don't know.

Archived