Anybody flown MEL->BWN ->UK on Royal Brunei dreamliners

davlap

Its been a looooong time since I was on here.

Recent job contract ended (working in Sydney in IT) and can't get another.

Anyway, back on forums for a look at whats going on.

We (3) are flying to UK on Royal Brunei (economy) with the new dreamliners next week and I wondered if anybody has any practical experience of them.

I have flown RB once before which was fine. I was searching on google for reviews etc and a few practical things came up.

Does online checkin work for whole route (was just flights out of BWN before)? Any tips on which seat (have seat guru).

I believe they give out noise cancelling headsets, if so are they any good, so I don't need mine. Specifically for comfort as I have nice big over ear cups (but of course are a bit big).

Seats have power sockets and usb. What voltage and nationality is the socket - UK/US/AU ?

Will android pad (standard usb charger) work off usb to stop battery running down?

The Brunei airport is/has been modernised (was pretty basic before). Is it finished, or a big mess.

Does main lounge have wifi, used to be in the cafe before (does anybody know the password?)

Also, any sim cards which will work in Brunei. Just for emergencies if wifi not available. PAYG without paying out ie not prepaid or global roaming sim, as it will probably not get used.

Thanks in advance for answers.

I always fly Royal Brunei, but be warned, your flight also stops off at Dubai for an hour (this is not advertised). You have to disembark and then almost immediately line up again to reboard. Brunei airport is still a dump (as of November last year). And you'll be there for around 8 hours. As regards to the seats, keep away from the bulkhead walls at the front. This is where the families with screaming kids are always seated.

Don't know about the technical angle of things. Hope this is some help.

Haven't flown on their dreamliner so can't comment on the specs of the plane. Though can confirm Brunei airport is still very basic. I only had a 4 hour stop over at Brunei but I believe if you have over 5 you can pay a small amount to go on a city tour from the airport which then brings you back. Also second the stop over in dubai which isn't advertised. I had just under two hour stop over at dubai but actually enjoyed the extra stop with the little one though can be an inconvenience for some

Thanks for pointing it out, but I already new about the Dubai stop. It shows as a tecnnical stop on my booking (direct with Brunei).

We only have about 2-3 hours in BWN. Took the flights because times are convenient both sides UK/AU and of course cheaper.

Not sure about the extra stop, like you say, good to get off the plane, but adds a couple of hours to the journey.

As I mentioned I have flown with RB before. Hoping for some specific dreamliner info if anybody has been on the new flights.

Mark 1234, have you flown dreamliners yet?

• 4 weeks later...

Fresh back from my trip, so for anybody who wants to know.

Online checkin is for the whole route. But strictlty 24 hours before the flight.

Flying out, had no choice to change seats. In central block, but other than no window was OK, as they are only 3 wide, there were 3 of us. Flying back, window seat first leg, lot of choice and changed seats on second leg. Flight was pretty full each time, so no idea why.

Headsets handed out to economy were the cheap nasties. They were collected at the end of the flight! Also, no night packs handed out, eg slippers, eye patch, toothbrush etc. No biggie for us as flights were $500 cheaper each at time of booking.

Power points are UK plugs. USB does charge.

BWN still being refurbished. Doesn't look like massive change. Won't be much better as I see it. Very poor facililities on offer. Hopefully toilets will be improved.

In UK bought lebara sim card, worked in all countries (UAE and Brunei), roaming active by default. Not sure if Aussie lebara is the same. Also if you top up by 10GBP for 30 days, same rates apply while you are in Aus (and some other countries.). Again might apply to Aussie sim.

No free wifi. Didn't go to cafe, so not sure if they still have free wifi.

All in all, flight was good. Slept better than I ever have on plane, but did take pills. Asian food options are probably better. Entertainment ok, but not great as fairly limited. Food pretty much the same on all flights to and from UK and entertainment was totally the same. Cabin crew do come around a few times with drinks, but I would say less than other main airlines I have used (SIA/Quantas). Flight times worked out really well for us. Stopovers were about 2 1/2 hours each time (including extra Dubhai stop for refuel). All flights on time.

We saved $500 per person, as I couldn't book when sales were on. I would probably book with the main players if I could get within $100 or $200 of price. Would feel OK flying with RBA again.

Hi Davlap,

I'm looking to book flights to the UK in either August or Sep this year, do you have any specific airlines or sites you can recommend for competitive fares?

Unfortunately I can't find the sites I used as some compared all airlines. I would then go direct to the airlines site and see if prices were on there. Just search for cheap UK flights and lots of sites will come up.

You have to decide what you are willing to accept with regards price, quality, convenience. Some good airlines were expensive, or the dates/times were not good for us. Royal Brunei was a good price (missed out on sales), good times and have new dreamliners flying MEL-LDN. But are not up to the traditional 'premium' air lines in some ways.

Archived