Internet phones

Guest Rbecca

Tesco are selling internet phones for less than £10. Calls are free to other Tesco internet phones so my Christmas present list is half filled. Is there a catch that I as a techno-twerp am missing? What is skype then?

I don't want to make any 'clever' purchases and live to regret it!

Rebecca

In all honesty you don't even need an internet phone - it just makes it more like using an ordinary phone. You really only need to have a mic and speakers on your computer and the software to make them work - which is where the skype comes in. You can download it free though. Or just use messenger and set it to the 'video' function - with a webcam you can then have real-time video conversations with people! (Depending on how many of your friends/family are similarly equipped & enabled!)

We use a headset to talk to all and sundry on skype. unfortunately, msn isnt particularly stable for voice and video but what we tend to do is talk on skype and use msn for video.

daisydeeds

• 1 month later...
Guest headingtoOz

hello there, we have used msn and skype to talk to my wifes brother in Oz from England, we got the Tesco internet phone to try and sent him one too, they are not much different to the other systems but if you are a bit technophibic thay are much easier to get on with. Best bit about them is you get to pick your area code when you register them, so the brother in law can call his mum on her land line in the uk for the cost of a local call.

To be honest they are a different way to get to the same result but for £10 ours has proved quite useful, and there seems to be less mucking about with speaker settings and stuff, I'm not that good at computers so it all helps (every little helps?).

hope thats some help

Archived