Seeking those in the know

JazzyAbby

Hi, I'm after some information from those who may know. I've had a few looks through the immigration pages but I'm just not understanding it.

My husband is English and I am Australian. We met in the UK in 2007 and he moved to Australia so we could be together. We are now married and have two young children and are looking at moving to the UK in about 3 years when both the kids are at school age.

my father is Hungarian so I think this entitles me to apply for a Hungarian passport meaning I'd be an EU member if it would be easier to go that way.

can anyone explain in laymans terms (I'm still suffering baby brain) how it works?

Would my husband have to live and work in England for 6 months prior to me arriving or are we able to all move at the same time but then have to wait 6 months before I could apply for my visa?

Do our children require a visa to stay? If they have a UK passport does that answer change?

thank you for any help you can offer.

Hi, I'm after some information from those who may know. I've had a few looks through the immigration pages but I'm just not understanding it.

My husband is English and I am Australian. We met in the UK in 2007 and he moved to Australia so we could be together. We are now married and have two young children and are looking at moving to the UK in about 3 years when both the kids are at school age.

my father is Hungarian so I think this entitles me to apply for a Hungarian passport meaning I'd be an EU member if it would be easier to go that way.

can anyone explain in laymans terms (I'm still suffering baby brain) how it works?

Would my husband have to live and work in England for 6 months prior to me arriving or are we able to all move at the same time but then have to wait 6 months before I could apply for my visa?

Do our children require a visa to stay? If they have a UK passport does that answer change?

thank you for any help you can offer.

Your children are eligible for a british passport by descent. however, the rules on taking back an aussie spouse are quite harsh- see the british immigration info and a few threads on here.

a lot of people have been screwed by these rules- don't quote me but the sponsoring spouse (hubby) must have earned a certain amount in the 12 months prior to arrival in uk plus must have a job offer in the UK with a certain threshold salary- it's either these two criteria, or savings of 62,000 pounds, yes pounds!

if you have any chance of an eligible EU passport that is by far a better option. are you sure having a hungarian grandfather qualifies? I have no idea.

basically, a lot of aussies are now stuck in oz with their british partners because of these rules. i have a friend who rocked up with her aussie hubby who had earnt a mere $200 below the requirements for the previous 12 months and even though she had a job lined up in the UK- he had to leave. they are now stuck in oz for the forseable.

do your research. good luck!

If your father is Hungarian and you can gain an EU passport this way, go for it. Far easier way to get into the UK.

The partner visa route is hard and yes, your hubby would have to be in the UK for 6 months working and earning enough to be able to bring you over. Or you'll need over £64,000 savings to get this waived.

My husband is English and I am Australian. We met in the UK in 2007 and he moved to Australia so we could be together....

You must apply for a spouse visa BEFORE you leave Australia. You'll have to show either that you have enough in savings to support the family (minimum £64,000), or that your husband has a good employment record and a job offer in the UK for a similar job. Last time I looked, he didn't have to already be working in the UK but maybe that's changed again??

£64,000 sounds like a lot of money, but one thing I notice is that it doesn't ask about what other assets you've got. So for instance, if you've got money tied up in your house, there's nothing to stop you selling up, putting that money in the bank and renting somewhere.

Even if you get the visa, it only lasts for two years, then you have to go through another application process.

Getting the EU visa would be by far a better option if you can manage it.

Thank you all for your help. I'm really hoping the Hungarian passport option works out as it does sound so much easier.

I have to admit I'm baffled that any member of the EU can enter the UK and start working and living but a member of a commonwealth nation has to jump through hoops with all appendages crossed.

from what I've read Hungary has changed things recently to make citizenship by ancestry easier so I'll just need all my dad's details and I should be in the clear.

I'm pretty sure having to do it via spouse visa would mean we would be staying in Oz :(

Archived