Places to avoid in Melbourne

motherof2

Hubby and I are hoping to do a rekkie early next year to Melbourne. Ideally we'd like to be near enough to the city to enjoy it, but not on door it's doorstep. Are there any areas that we should not bother looking at ie not good for family life ( have son 9 and daughter 6). Chances are that hubby will be working in the CBD and doesn't want a long commute. Will probably rent for 6 months then look to buy. Budget would be around £200,000 if we were to go now (oh I wish!)

Well Sue, I'm very surprised no-one has answered this yet, as there have been some lively debates...perhaps do a search on old threads to see what people have said in the past? I'm also planning to move to Melbourne but not in the same situation as you, by myself, kids grown up, looking to live very centrally and will be looking just north of the CBD, Brunswick, Carlton, Parkville, and maybe the other side too, round Middle Park, which is supposed to be very nice. Although Melbourne is cheaper than Sydney, I don't know what you will find for £200K within very easy commuting distance, but good luck, and I'd be surprised if you didn't get some advice here from people who've already made the move.

Guest stuckinblighty

From what i have seen on the internet £200,000 should get you a really nice place along as you dont mind a 25 minute or so drive into Melbourne.

I'll be lucky to spend anything near that amount if/when we get to Vic :?

Lee

Budget would be around £200,000 if we were to go now (oh I wish!)

200k is about $440,000. That will get a nice 4-bed bungalow ona decent piece of land (600 - 1000m2) in most suburbs that are more than 20km out of the city.

The west and north are developing very fast. (I live in Hoppers Crossing (about 25km out of Melb) and work in Geelong about 80km (50 miles)out of Melb). I live in a 5-bedroom, double garage, lounge and family room house, on 700m2, and it is worth about $350k. Hoppers Crossing / Werribee/ Wyndam Vale / Point Cook are all great places to live...part way between Melbourne and Geelong...and the best of all worlds.... and people are only now realising it..

My friend lives on the east side, abiout 10km out, on about the same, but he would be closer to $660k.

(For some strange reason two-storey houses are priced at a permium here...and most houses are single storey)

The east has traditionally been the developed part, and eastern inner suburbs can be a bit more expensive.

What does hubby do that requirs a CBD job rather than a regional city?

Follow-up....

There are no places in Melbourne that equate to Broadwater Farm, Toxteth, or anything like that. What Melbourne considers to be a rough suburb is a place called Broadmeadows...which is made up of fairly good individual 3 or 3 bedroom houses, each on quarter of an acre of land, but definitely "working class" (except that quite a few seem to elect not to!)

If you have already come from an inner city suburb... Melbourne is a dream.

My advice: Lease a house for a year ...Look for rentals on the Melbourne Real estate Agents websites. (try the west side... Hoppers Crossing, Point Cook, Boardwalk, Wyndham Vale... all on train line to Melbourne 20 Mins by car on weekends.... 40 mins to an hour by car in rush hour.)

Hubby's a Chartered Accountant and I'm a nurse, so we are fairly flexible. I think he'd prefer to be nearer into Melbourne, but if the right job came up outside the CBD who knows. We've both done the 'high power' work till you drop jobs within our respective professions, now we want a better and less stressful life for ourselves and the kids. My sister in in South Yarra so that's the bits we've seen before, driven through Geelong on the way out to the Great Ocean Road. I don't care as long as long it's better than here! I would love an ocean view, so may have to move out further.

As a nurse..you will be okay and will get a job anywhere... not an issue.

Dunno about accountants, but there are accounting firms is all towns and cities. I suppose it depends on whether he wants to do routine commercial stuff or high-powered Due Diligence investigations? The latter might meen Melbourne.

• 1 month later...

I have been looking at where to live in Melbourne for ages and we fly out in less than a month. Found a report on the internet called Where to Live in Melbourne - the link came from this web site and I found this report to be excellent and it has certainly given us a starting point. It discusses crime levels, affluency, house prices, schools, facilities etc... Obviously you can't beat going there and getting a feel for yourself and advice from this site.

Hey Fraser just out of curiosity, do people commute from Geelong to the City much?

Yes Ian. Geelong is within the commuter belt for Melbourne. Lots of people either take the train or drive the freeway.

There are people who work for my firm, who live in Geelong, but work in the Melbourne office.

Why d'you ask?

Why d'you ask?

Well a couple of reasons really. One is that we may have an eye on Vic in the future. Plus we might be heading to Melb for a few days soon. My wife reckons I should get back into motorbikes to replace the void that no traithlon will leave. Thinking about flying to Melb and hiring a m'bike (don't worry I've had 23 of em and used to race a CBR600 in the UK) and riding the GOR. Jst to see how much I miss the bikes before committing to buying one. So we may check out Geelong as well while we're there.

And the description yo gave of your house sounds very attractive for the cost!

Archived