Australia Quarantine fees

We have tried to point this out to them, that they have a figure for number of pets coming in and then that figure will drop if they put their fees up, but they just dont get it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24488[/ATTACH]

Which will result in them increasing the cost further to cover their overheads :sad:

Bad News, the fee increase has been proposed and passed. Their daily rates are astronomical really. But one client said to me this morning it is only the same cost as the pets staying 30 days, but they now have to only stay 10 days, which i guess is fair.

http://www.daff.gov.au/bsg/biosecurity-fee-review-2014/post-entry-quarantine-animal-imports-non-horse

Bob,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

For our cat the cost has gone from 30 days @ $29/day ($870) down to 10 days @ $29/day ($290) and now up to 10 days @ $149/day ($1490). So the cat will be staying in quarantine 66% less time but we will pay 71% more?!?

And then I find out that they are increasing the import permit fee by an inflation smashing 15% too? It really does beggar belief.

I hope people start bombarding their postal address with photos of their animals who, like us, they probably wont be able to afford to take with them now.

Bob,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

For our cat the cost has gone from 30 days @ $29/day ($870) down to 10 days @ $29/day ($290) and now up to 10 days @ $149/day ($1490). So the cat will be staying in quarantine 66% less time but we will pay 71% more?!?

And then I find out that they are increasing the import permit fee by an inflation smashing 15% too? It really does beggar belief.

I hope people start bombarding their postal address with photos of their animals who, like us, they probably wont be able to afford to take with them now.

Same here Rossco, our two dogs have gone from 30 days @ $39/day and $33/day respectively ($2,160) up to 10 days @ $149/day ($2,980) an increase of 38%.

To make it worse, we go out a month before them so they will be in foster care in the UK which will cost £892, then getting them over to Australia at a cost of almost £2300, a total cost in sterling of £4830!!

Thing is, the Aussie government know that we are soft enough to pay it!

Of course the pet owners lose out, but the biggest losers are the shipping companies like PetAir who will surely see their custom diminishing.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!! I've only just started looking into steps for preparing to move our dog as our visa hasn't been granted yet but we want to be able to move asap, so in reality I think we need to do his rabies test now. These increases in charges are huge!! Some time ago we got a quote from a local pet relocation company and the costs already came to the equivalent of £5k from Malaysia to SYD. I am concerned about us doing all the paperwork ourselves but I think we seriously need to consider it to save on some costs.