Movecube - hints and tips

vicki1974

Hi everyone, sorry for the really general post!

We've just got the good news that our move / visa is all systems go :arghh: so last night we booked a Movecube to take some of our worldly possessions with us.

Does anyone who has used this service before have any hints, tips or pearls of wisdom they could offer in terms of what to do? We're taking things like a couple of chest of drawers, toys, pictures, books, kitchen utensils, etc.

We've got a really condensed period of time when we'll be leaving our jobs, moving out of our rented property and the Movecube turning up so I don't want to waste any of it.

Thanks!

Mark off the size of the cube on your floor including height and start filling! Try and use boxes the same size to make it easier to stack. I filled the insides of drawers, washing machine, tumbler and fridge with things too. I bought loads of vacuum pack bags for clothes, duvets, bedding etc. as you pack each box or bag number it with stickers and list what's inside, this can be easily transcribed on the day to the move cubes paperwork. I also sealed all my boxes, just industrial tape just to make sure the kids didn't come loose and also so I would know if they had been tampered with. Collect bubble wrap! Some people inserted silica gel sachets, I didn't as I forgot to get some but all of my stuff was fine anyhow, no mildew. Bikes were scrubbed to death. If you have any space fill it with toiletries, washing liquid And softener. Obviously you can get it here but for likes of lenor it's expensive.

nic1171, this is fab. thank you so much for taking the time to respond. We've got some wellies and hiking boots that will almost definitely need a good scrub before they are packed up! I need to speak to seven seas but did they supply you with any boxes? It's the one thing during the booking process I couldn't specify (other than pay what seemed like a lot of money for what are just cardboard boxes). It mentioned the likes of a starter pack but think that only includes basics like parcel tape, pen, etc.

You get a few boxes but if you are taking lots of personal effects it probably won't be anywhere near enough. We ordered a heap more in 2 sizes, book box and tea chest size from an online site. MoveCube boxes were pricey.

They didn't give me any boxes, just the tape! I actually already had heaps of plastic boxes so used these along with ones I scavenged from work and elsewhere. Another tip is buy an adaptor plug for each electrical item, it's a pain swapping them round. You can get them here but more expensive. Good luck!

Mark off the size of the cube on your floor including height and start filling! Try and use boxes the same size to make it easier to stack. I filled the insides of drawers, washing machine, tumbler and fridge with things too. I bought loads of vacuum pack bags for clothes, duvets, bedding etc. as you pack each box or bag number it with stickers and list what's inside, this can be easily transcribed on the day to the move cubes paperwork. I also sealed all my boxes, just industrial tape just to make sure the kids didn't come loose and also so I would know if they had been tampered with. Collect bubble wrap! Some people inserted silica gel sachets, I didn't as I forgot to get some but all of my stuff was fine anyhow, no mildew. Bikes were scrubbed to death. If you have any space fill it with toiletries, washing liquid And softener. Obviously you can get it here but for likes of lenor it's expensive.

I am the only one that read this as if you had packaged the kids up in the Movecube??? lol :err:

Hey nic1171 - so your vaccume packed 'space bags' didn't cause a drama? I have a stash of these which I intended to use but the 2 removal companies we had over for a quote advised not to as they can pop and the heat in the container can make things go mildewy. We were told they pack clothes/bedding etc in cardboard boxes that can breathe...

Hi Vicki, would love to hear how you get on. I'm yet to book my shipping but am thinking of the movecube. What size have you gone for? My concern is that i'll either have too much space or not enough and it's too early for me to start packing now. Like you, we will have a small timeframe between finishing work and leaving (2 weeks) to get everything sorted.

@ksara yep my stuff was fine. I vac packed all my material stuff, this included feather pillows, duvets, cushions, towels, clothes. I brought lots of curtains too but these went into a cloth bag I had and again were fine. I think there are some reports on here where some folk had mildew but mine was fine.

Hey nic1171 - so your vaccume packed 'space bags' didn't cause a drama? I have a stash of these which I intended to use but the 2 removal companies we had over for a quote advised not to as they can pop and the heat in the container can make things go mildewy. We were told they pack clothes/bedding etc in cardboard boxes that can breathe...

We used some for clothes but vac packed them inside the tea chest boxes so as to make sure everything stacked up. Any space we filled in round them with spare loose clothes. Bedding and microfibre duvets we vac packed also. Only duck down duvets and our pillows we packed into drawers. We used silica gel sachets just to be on the safe side. A couple of quid for a 100 was minor.

It's an apple desktop.

I wrapped my iMac in bubble wrap about 3 times. Made sure to bung in plenty of silica gel sachets as I went. Then packed it inside a normal tea chest box with soft items packed round it. Got here fine, working perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...