Help! Advice on transporting dog to UK....

FrankieD

Hi all, can anyone help me make a decision here. I'm returning to the UK next month and whist I've got everything sorted out for me, I'm struggling on making a decision on a pet carrier for my shih-tzu dog. I've had 5 quotes, the money isn't the problem, it's trying to pick the right one. We are currently in Perth, but because of his breed (considered high risk) there are only two airlines that will take him, Qantas & Emirates, but Emirates won't take them between April &n October, so it has to be Qantas, which again, isn't really the problem. Depending on which carrier I use, he has to fly to either Sydney or Melbourne, stay overnight, then fly to Dubai, stop when they refuel, they don't take them off the plane, then onto Heathrow. It's such a long flight for the wee boy! He's 11 years old.

I've got down it to two, Jetpets & Pet Carriers, both companies have great recommendations on their website....they all did actually, but they're not going to put in the bad ones are they?!...I emailed them all with questions, back and forth...not one of them picked up a phone to talk to me, which I find a bit disturbing, what has happened to customer service? You would think that they would know how much of an emotional thing this is to do, that they would pick up the phone to assure you, talk through it with you....especially if they want the business!

Anyway, has anyone transported their beloved pet home with either carrier and how was the experience? I would really appreciate any comments, I know each experience can be different and I'm sure both companies look after the pets, but just actually hearing from someone would be wonderful. He's my best friend and I only want to make the best decision for him.

Thanks heaps!

Hi FrankieD we are moving the other way, the cat's veterinary requirements have been a nightmare (since DAFF changed the pet immigration rules in January). We have yet to make this decision for pet travel agents ourselves, however check out some independent reviews on your Product Review and Truly Local websites. For me it would clinch it even though there is only one review for Pet Carriers International. I assume that you have all the veterinary aspects/quarantine covered, that is the most important.

In terms of Sydney or Melbourne, both QF1 (Sydney) and QF9 (Melbourne), each stopping in Dubai, depart and arrive in working hours (near enough, considering check-in/arrival). The Sydney flight leaves a couple of hours earlier although the flight is fractionally longer (24:05hrs). I would decide based on what time it is best for your dog to be met (about 9am or about 11am) in Heathrow. Not sure if this will help. I received some very helpful advice from colleagues on this site and wanted to give something back to members.

Best wishes, M

I don't have advice re doggy transport but I wanted to say that as you emailed them, they probably assumed you wanted to communicate via email. I get irritated if I email a company and they ring me - I feel like if I wanted to speak to them I would have rung them in the first place! Anyway my point is, don't see that as bad service, see it as them communicating in what they have assumed is your preferred method. In your shoes I'd probably ring both companies and get a feel for them based on your conversations.

JetPets are absolutely wonderful. I cannot praise them enough. Our dog came off the plane looking like he had just had a stroll in the local park, they certainly looked after him as if he were a King. They took the stress out of everything in the planning and even drove 150km to collect our dog prior to the flight. The price was also reasonable.

I have not heard of the other company.

Interesting, I've been getting quotes for our blue heeler to fly from Perth to UK in around Dec/Jan 2014/15. I have been told that he can fly Emirates from Perth to UK, however, due to regulations in Dubai, he has to come off the plane and stay for 7 hours where he will be exercised and fed/watered. I'm interested because you say they don't take them off the plane in Dubai? wonder if I've been given the wrong information?

Archived