Painters and Decorators that got sponsored in Australia

jacksy0

In June i will have gained my NVQ Level 2 in Painting and Decorating over here in the UK. This is the first step for me in trying to get a career so I can move to Australia for good. Has anybody moved from the UK to Oz as a painter and decorator?

I would like to get tips and advise from anybody that has. Like is it necessary to have 3 years full time experience or are there ways around that. What is the best visa to look for? (I cant apply for WHV because i have already had that), How did people go about getting sponsorship before they could move to Oz? Does anybody know any painting and decorators willing to sponsor etc...

Well don't worry about your age, if you want to move to Australia for good the WHV wouldn't be for you anyway, it is a holiday visa! :biggrin:

I would think the chance if getting sponsored by an employer would be very remote. The good news is that the SOL contains an occupation called Paint trades worker or something. So you should look into the skills assessment for your occupation and see if you can pass it. There is no blanket rule over how much work experience is required, it varies by occupation.

Hi. I got here on a 190 as a Painting Trades Worker. You will need a skills assessment via TRA. I did mine last September and I had to outline experience over the previous 3 years. I qualified to NVQ 3 and was initially told by an agent that they don't assess level 2 NVQs as comparable. However when I got my positive assessment through, they had in fact assessed my NVQ 2 as comparable rather than my level 3. I think it depends on the syllabus and whether the majority matches the Oz qualification topics. Have you done an apprenticeship/supervised on the job training as they require this not just the qualification. Without this you might need to do an AQF. Immi will only count work experience post-qualification. The skills assessment is really the most difficult part of the process as you have to provide so much information and detail but a lot of what you use for the assessment you also use for the visa application so by the time you get to that bit you have already gathered most of the required information. It would be worth you just having a quick chat to an agent ( even though they gave me the info about the level 2, they were very helpful overall and checked all the info before I submitted). I am in Perth and the good news is there is plenty of work here for painters. Good money, plenty of hours - I haven't had a day out of work since I first came here (except when out of choice for a bit of travelling) over 2 years ago (originally came on a WHV and even did my regional as a painter in NT) Have a look on Seek.com.au, jobrapido and indeed and gumtree.com.au is a good source as always jobs posted on there for painters. Don't know where you want to live but Perth Poms often has jobs posted and seen sponsorship opportunities posted on there for painters. There are forums for most of the states and all have a jobs section. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Well don't worry about your age, if you want to move to Australia for good the WHV wouldn't be for you anyway, it is a holiday visa! :biggrin:

I would think the chance if getting sponsored by an employer would be very remote. The good news is that the SOL contains an occupation called Paint trades worker or something. So you should look into the skills assessment for your occupation and see if you can pass it. There is no blanket rule over how much work experience is required, it varies by occupation.

Hi Rupert how do you find out about what the skills assessment involves

Hi. I got here on a 190 as a Painting Trades Worker. You will need a skills assessment via TRA. I did mine last September and I had to outline experience over the previous 3 years. I qualified to NVQ 3 and was initially told by an agent that they don't assess level 2 NVQs as comparable. However when I got my positive assessment through, they had in fact assessed my NVQ 2 as comparable rather than my level 3. I think it depends on the syllabus and whether the majority matches the Oz qualification topics. Have you done an apprenticeship/supervised on the job training as they require this not just the qualification. Without this you might need to do an AQF. Immi will only count work experience post-qualification. The skills assessment is really the most difficult part of the process as you have to provide so much information and detail but a lot of what you use for the assessment you also use for the visa application so by the time you get to that bit you have already gathered most of the required information. It would be worth you just having a quick chat to an agent ( even though they gave me the info about the level 2, they were very helpful overall and checked all the info before I submitted). I am in Perth and the good news is there is plenty of work here for painters. Good money, plenty of hours - I haven't had a day out of work since I first came here (except when out of choice for a bit of travelling) over 2 years ago (originally came on a WHV and even did my regional as a painter in NT) Have a look on Seek.com.au, jobrapido and indeed and gumtree.com.au is a good source as always jobs posted on there for painters. Don't know where you want to live but Perth Poms often has jobs posted and seen sponsorship opportunities posted on there for painters. There are forums for most of the states and all have a jobs section. Hope that helps. Good luck.

That's really good to hear kaiser we will hopefully be following the same route over as you so it's good know there's still plenty of work

Hi Rupert how do you find out about what the skills assessment involves

Go on the TRA website and you will find all the info, guidance and forms on there. They are also very helpful if you email or telephone them with queries.

Thanks alot Rupert and Kaiser for the information you have provided. Its very good to hear from someone with first hand experience in the same trade. Unfortunately Kaiser, I couldnt find a Painting and Decorating apprenticeship at the time when I was looking so just went through the college route, whilst gaining work experience. Everything that is stated for a Painting Trades Worker I have undertaken whilst doing the NVQ2 through my college. What do you mean by doing the AQF? So by experience does it have to be 3 years or can it be less?

I had considered seeing an agent but just feel that most of what they will tell me I will nearly already know and dont know if it would be worthwhile when i havent gained the experience yet. I started off in Perth in Feb 2011 and you could see that the area is rapidly expanding that is why i thought that a trade like P&D would be a good one to get into and try get back to oz, I also spent a year and half in Alice Springs and thought the there or Darwin is remote so they might need P&D`s too.

Archived