How's it looking for chefs?

Azh

Hello, how's it looking for chefs out there? I'm currently gathering up my information to send to an agent or 2 to see how I would go at getting a sponsorship visa out in Australia. I took an online test (probably not reliable) that said "with a job offer I would qualify". With the research I have done, the temp sponsorship route seems to be the only option I can see. Can a temp sponsorship become a permanent one afterwards? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Hello, how's it looking for chefs out there? I'm currently gathering up my information to send to an agent or 2 to see how I would go at getting a sponsorship visa out in Australia. I took an online test (probably not reliable) that said "with a job offer I would qualify". With the research I have done, the temp sponsorship route seems to be the only option I can see. Can a temp sponsorship become a permanent one afterwards? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Hi Azh, finding a willing sponsor as a chef is very possible, but it is quite a hard process. Along side finding a willing sponsor, you will also need to get your skills assesed by the TRA. This means proving all your work history and qualifications as a cook\chef.

Some jobs will advertise that they are willing to sponsor, these are usually on a temp 457 visa or a permanant RSMS 187 visa.

Hi Azh, finding a willing sponsor as a chef is very possible, but it is quite a hard process. Along side finding a willing sponsor, you will also need to get your skills assesed by the TRA. This means proving all your work history and qualifications as a cook\chef.

Some jobs will advertise that they are willing to sponsor, these are usually on a temp 457 visa or a permanant RSMS 187 visa.

Hello Minch23. Thank you for the reply. Proving my work history and qualifications will not be a problem. I guess only they can decide if my skills are high enough (I would like to think they are, haha). Would you or anyone know the best way to go about finding a sponsor? I've looked on the norm job sites and there is a few on there.

Be persistant with applying for jobs, have a really good CV written up and be patient. If you have a particular area that you want to move to, you may see the same jobs being re-advertised a few months after you first saw them, and just keep applying. Have a really good cover email to send with your CV and good luck!

As with the TRA, they do not regard you as a chef in Australia until you have worked in a commercial kitchen for at least 7 years, before this you are regarded as a cook. A chef in Australia is someone who holds resposibility in a kitchen, ie, senior chef de partie or above! If you do not hold a qualification higher then a AQF level III, then I would apply to the TRA as a cook.

Be persistant with applying for jobs, have a really good CV written up and be patient. If you have a particular area that you want to move to, you may see the same jobs being re-advertised a few months after you first saw them, and just keep applying. Have a really good cover email to send with your CV and good luck!

As with the TRA, they do not regard you as a chef in Australia until you have worked in a commercial kitchen for at least 7 years, before this you are regarded as a cook. A chef in Australia is someone who holds resposibility in a kitchen, ie, senior chef de partie or above! If you do not hold a qualification higher then a AQF level III, then I would apply to the TRA as a cook.

That's great advice, thank you. I'm coming up to 6 years in The kitchen and currently hold a position as a senior chef de parti, I have level 3 NVQ as well. Would you you advise to wait a year so I could apply as a chef rather than a cook?

I think this is correct, but a AQF III is the same as a NVQ level 2. It is really just a matter of getting your wording correct when describing your previous jobs and duties. What classification you choose to apply to the TRA to be assessed under is up to you?! But you would qualify as a cook already. Cooks are also held in very high regard in Australia, so if you do choose to be assessed under this, I don't believe it would harm your chances are finding a sponsor, being assesed is just a part of the immigration process to prove you have the skills they need.

Excellent. I really appreciate this, thank you!

Just one more quick question! Can I apply for this visa whilst being in Australia on a 3 month holiday visa? Obviously I wouldn't work! But maybe seek work possibilities ect? I guessing this is a stupid question as I know that may be classed as actively seeking work on the wrong visa and I obviously don't want to jeopardise anything.

I'm just trying to cover almost everything I possibly can.

Thanks again.

Yes, you can apply for some visa's whilst on a tourist visa, but it can be alot harder then just turning up, finding a sponsor and applying. My whole process from start to finish took 22 months, that was from the time I finally found a sponsor to being granted my visa. The TRA process alone could take up to 6 months. Be prepared for the long haul. You cannot apply for certain visa's without passing the TRA skills assessment.

Yeah, I do understand it won't happen over night! I have friends who will have me under their roof for as long as I need out there so I thought it might be an option. I've looked at the option of buying a business. But as I've read you need to all ready own a business grossing x amount!

hi im a chef on 457 in Brisbane 2.5 yrs , yes its great at time to get 457 but now im having to apply for state sponsorship as I asked my boss to put me through but he was hesitant , funny that esp after a yr there he made me head chef !! I would recommend if u really want to get into oz try ALH google them they sponsor chefs on 457 visa s and have 150 pubs/taverns across oz they,re basic places buts its a foot in the door and while u work there apply for your state sponsorship , you ll get loan from the bank when ur on 457 it going to cost me 8-10 thousand dollars for mine , look up the TRA and you can download the skills assessment you will need to do u need a lot of info on your past jobs and they check it against tax records in Ireland . also do ur 457 visa yourself I did and its pretty easy , watch out for companies that look for money for these though .. good luck !!

hi im a chef on 457 in Brisbane 2.5 yrs , yes its great at time to get 457 but now im having to apply for state sponsorship as I asked my boss to put me through but he was hesitant , funny that esp after a yr there he made me head chef !! I would recommend if u really want to get into oz try ALH google them they sponsor chefs on 457 visa s and have 150 pubs/taverns across oz they,re basic places buts its a foot in the door and while u work there apply for your state sponsorship , you ll get loan from the bank when ur on 457 it going to cost me 8-10 thousand dollars for mine , look up the TRA and you can download the skills assessment you will need to do u need a lot of info on your past jobs and they check it against tax records in Ireland . also do ur 457 visa yourself I did and its pretty easy , watch out for companies that look for money for these though .. good luck !!

Thanks mate, some good info there. Did you apply for your job whilst you were back in Ireland or were you all ready oz?

• 1 month later...
Contact sudexo in Perth they are crazy looking for chefs for mines . They contacted me yesterday . Not sure if they sponsor though . Or if u go for state sponsorship go for western au

hi gussy79

im a pastry chef and moving to perth in aug or september i have my 190 pr visa

do you have any suggestions on how to go about securing a job in perth

I'm open to anything , but prefer good five star hotels and resorts as my back ground has been in good luxury hotels for the last 5 years

thanks

kiran

Guest NuriootpaSA
hi nuriootpa

i was looking for something in five star hotels or luxury resorts

do you know of any agent whom i can approach

thanks

kiran

Sorry, not in Perth, no.

Guest NuriootpaSA
My partner was in Sydney as a chef. .We were briefly in Perth where they would only accept pal with WA experience even though he has 11 years exp.

Head Chef job(sponsored if needed) in Tassie if anybody is interested PM me.

Archived