Driving License

Chris12

Hi all, hope all is well.

Just come back from oz and we will be making the big move next year.

I have held a full UK driving license for nearly 20 years so from what I understand its a transfer thing rather than having to take the oz driving test.

My question is that I want to do my motorcycle test in the UK so I can do a Euro trip before leaving, is it the same as the driving license where if you pass within 2 years I have to retake in oz ? anyone found any website with info?

Any help on this would be great.

I think it is different from state to state to be honest. Where abouts are you heading? I would probably look at the forum for that specific state as well :)

On another note, I have my full license. Looking forward to getting a bike out there. :)

Im not sure on the time limit after having passed your UK test, but both car and motorcycle are a straight transfer, neither requiring a test. I must say though you take your life in your own hands riding a motorbike on the road here, despite having numerous in the UK and having driven all over Europe ,hubby sold his road bike within a year of moving here and now plays off road which seems to be a safer option,lol, too many road bikes get wiped out too easily,driving over here leaves a lot to be desired! lol

Cal x

I asked RMS here in Sydney about transferring my Bus licence from UK. Here is the opening to their reply

Dear Sarah Thank you for your email. Temporary overseas visitors who hold an overseas licence which has expired within the last 12 months are automatically exempt from the six-month waiting period. The normal tests would be required for higher classes of licence as the exemption is only for car and rider licences.

Checking the link they sent me it says in NSW

You are applying for a NSW licence and you hold a current relevant overseas licence (not a learner licence), or one that expired within the last five years, from a country recognised as having comparable licensing standards to Australia. See Licences from recognised countries for more information.

This applies to them coming here without permanent residency. I think the rules are slightly different for permanent residents

Hope that was in some way useful. If not just ignore me I won't be offended :rolleyes:

Sarah

I asked RMS here in Sydney about transferring my Bus licence from UK. Here is the opening to their reply

Dear Sarah Thank you for your email. Temporary overseas visitors who hold an overseas licence which has expired within the last 12 months are automatically exempt from the six-month waiting period. The normal tests would be required for higher classes of licence as the exemption is only for car and rider licences.

Checking the link they sent me it says in NSW

You are applying for a NSW licence and you hold a current relevant overseas licence (not a learner licence), or one that expired within the last five years, from a country recognised as having comparable licensing standards to Australia. See Licences from recognised countries for more information.

This applies to them coming here without permanent residency. I think the rules are slightly different for permanent residents

Hope that was in some way useful. If not just ignore me I won't be offended :rolleyes:

Sarah

As far as im aware Truck and Bus licences are not transferable regardless of what Visa you are on or what State you are in. Both these require you sit Aussie tests, only car and motorbike are a straight transfer with no test involved.

Cal x

As far as im aware Truck and Bus licences are not transferable regardless of what Visa you are on or what State you are in. Both these require you sit Aussie tests, only car and motorbike are a straight transfer with no test involved.

Cal x

Yes Cal, Sadly I have to hold a NSW licence 6 months then take all thw same tests an aussie would. Only advantage is maybe a few less lessons :biggrin:

Thanks for info though

Sarah

Thanks for the help all. Still finding it hard to find info on the web.

www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/newtonsw/international_drivers.html Please see the below link for access to the Licence Application form. www.rta.nsw.gov.au/publicationsstatisticsforms/downloads/formsforms_dl1.html

That's just NSW but I expect all states and territories have a similar site

Sarah

Archived