What school years? Have I got these right?

Guest Guest 47403

Guest Guest 47403

Daughter turns 9 in January - Would currently be year 3 and start year 4 next Feb, same as the UK just change years next Feb instead of this Sept?

Son No1 turns 6 in October - Would currently be Pre-school/reception and start year 1 next Feb (instead of this Sept as he would in the UK)

Son No2 turns 4 in October - Would start kindy next Feb (is this full time if not how many hours?)

Thanks

Daughter turns 9 in January - Would currently be year 3 and start year 4 next Feb, same as the UK just change years next Feb instead of this Sept?

Son No1 turns 6 in October - Would currently be Pre-school/reception and start year 1 next Feb (instead of this Sept as he would in the UK)

Son No2 turns 4 in October - Would start kindy next Feb (is this full time if not how many hours?)

Thanks

As I don't know where you are heading i will answer for WA just in case

You are correct on all your assumptions for your children for WA. Kindy in WA is not full time nor is it compulsory. Currently Kindy in WA is 15 hours per week. Enrolment is usually done around July of the previous year so if you rock up in February you may not get a place at your chosen school as the Kindy programme may be full.

Guest Guest 47403
As I don't know where you are heading i will answer for WA just in case

You are correct on all your assumptions for your children for WA. Kindy in WA is not full time nor is it compulsory. Currently Kindy in WA is 15 hours per week. Enrolment is usually done around July of the previous year so if you rock up in February you may not get a place at your chosen school as the Kindy programme may be full.

Thanks northernbird that's WA sorted.

If it going to be different in any other states would like people to comment please.

Not really going to make any difference in any state as cut offs are before your kids birthdays. Yr 4, Yr1 and "preschool" in 2015. Preschool provisions vary from state to state. Universal free preschool in ACT but is user pays in some other states. Times vary but 15 hpw is about right

I thought there was a difference between states?

I don't know if this is up-to-date but there is in terms of starting school

http://www.kidspot.com.au/Education-Starting-School-Starting-age-for-first-year-of-school-requirements-for-each-state+364+56+article.htm

I would expect that would then continue throughout school.

You might also mind some useful information here

http://www.aussieeducator.org.au/education/enrolments/enrolments=2.html

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread but this seem like a good fit so here goes....

We'll be arriving in Melbourne in January 2015, my son turns 7 in the following February and my daughter turns 5 in the following June. I'm guessing that my son will go into Year 1? Not sure how it works for my daughter - I understand she's missed the cut-off for a Primary School start in Jan/Feb 2015 but when will she actually start school? In Jan/Feb 2016 or at the start of the next term after she's 5?

I think the kindergarten's offer 4 year olds 15 hours a week of care - can you pay extra for more hours?

Cheers!

Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread but this seem like a good fit so here goes....

We'll be arriving in Melbourne in January 2015, my son turns 7 in the following February and my daughter turns 5 in the following June. I'm guessing that my son will go into Year 1? Not sure how it works for my daughter - I understand she's missed the cut-off for a Primary School start in Jan/Feb 2015 but when will she actually start school? In Jan/Feb 2016 or at the start of the next term after she's 5?

I think the kindergarten's offer 4 year olds 15 hours a week of care - can you pay extra for more hours?

Cheers!

Your son, turning 7 in Feb 15 could be in year 2 if you want (cut off is 30 April) so if he is mature and at least average UK with his skills, that would be a reasonable option to begin with.

Your daughter will be eligible for full time school Jan 2016. You'll have to pay for preschool anyway I think but, yes, you can put her into a long day care centre and pay. Some private schools may offer full time early childhood programs as well but you'd be up for $12-15k pa for the privilege even if you could get a place (not that likely)

Your son, turning 7 in Feb 15 could be in year 2 if you want (cut off is 30 April) so if he is mature and at least average UK with his skills, that would be a reasonable option to begin with.

Your daughter will be eligible for full time school Jan 2016. You'll have to pay for preschool anyway I think but, yes, you can put her into a long day care centre and pay. Some private schools may offer full time early childhood programs as well but you'd be up for $12-15k pa for the privilege even if you could get a place (not that likely)

Thanks for the reply. Will have to think about the Year1 / Year 2 point - he's very bright (aren't all posters' kids on the forum ;) ) but not particularly mature for his age

Archived