WA Public servants walk at noon

Guest Guest66881

Guest Guest66881

Public servants in Perth's central business district will walk off the job at lunchtime as part of a campaign for a better pay deal.

It is part of rolling industrial action promised by the Community and Public Sector Union/Civil Service Association (CPSU/CSA).

Members held their first stop-work meetings in the eastern suburbs of Cannington and Midland last week, voting to reject the Barnett government's pay offer to about 40,000 public servants of 2.5 per cent per year for the next three years.

On Tuesday, staff from agencies including planning, transport, local government and communities, regional development, culture and the arts plan to walk off the job at midday (WST) for a meeting in front of the Department for Child Protection and Family Services office.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/latest/a/22466875/public-servants-stop-work/

I don't know what they earn, but they are working - lot's would jump at the chance at their wages i bet?

Public servants in Perth's central business district will walk off the job at lunchtime as part of a campaign for a better pay deal.

It is part of rolling industrial action promised by the Community and Public Sector Union/Civil Service Association (CPSU/CSA).

Members held their first stop-work meetings in the eastern suburbs of Cannington and Midland last week, voting to reject the Barnett government's pay offer to about 40,000 public servants of 2.5 per cent per year for the next three years.

On Tuesday, staff from agencies including planning, transport, local government and communities, regional development, culture and the arts plan to walk off the job at midday (WST) for a meeting in front of the Department for Child Protection and Family Services office.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/latest/a/22466875/public-servants-stop-work/

I don't know what they earn, but they are working - lot's would jump at the chance at their wages i bet?

The government would love that line of thinking P&D, people queuing up to take the lowest pay and get rid of union involvement, along with workers rights. Get workers battling against workers, just what a Liberal government is driving for. More money for big business and their backers then too.

Before I comment one way or the other I would have to know what pay the people are on, maybe they have a case maybe not. On the face of it 2.5 % per year doesn't sound a bad deal BUT just depends what you are starting from. Hopefully just about keep up with inflation but if you are struggling to make ends meet, can't afford a house or something, it's not going to help.

Higher pay because of work conditions or higher pay because of expense of living in WA?

I think a bit of both to be honest. They have to deal with some terrible conditions. Removing children from a home is not a fun job. Jeez the abuse we had to put up with was not fun. Working with lots of aboriginal families and having them come in for their visits with their children only they were high as a kite, and then seeing them go off after being told they couldn't see their child because they were too high on drugs.

Anyone that thinks civil servants get paid too much, should try working at DCP.

Cheers

Karen