Plumber beginning the visa process

Mdixon0310

Hi and welcome to the forum.. We have a few plumbers who have moved over so hopefully they will be along soon. The biggest tip i can give you is to look very carefully into State licencing as it can take time and money to get the correct licences to work in your trade once your here. Every state has different rules and it can be a nightmare if you are not aware of what awaits you.

Lots of luck with your application

Cal x

Hi, I recently moved over here in January, I used Go Matilda to sort out my visa and they where fantastic . Plumbing over here is very different, our qualifications mean nothing and a lot of company's simply do not look at British CV's . I'm quiet lucky my brother managed to get me started with a company when I got over here, otherwise I could well of even back in the UK already, I would strongly reccomended swotting up before you come as it's a lot different to back home!

Thanks for the response guys,

its nice to hear from someone who has gone through the process I am about to begin, to what level was you qualified in the UK? And how many years experience did you have? I'm quite fortunate in the sense I have a good friend who has some contacts so fingers crossed? Also how did you find the move as a whole? Finding accommodation etc. look forward to your response.

Hi,

I'm not a plumber, I did a bit in the UK (albeit badly) but I have worked on sites alongside plumbers when I was in construction (I now run a Safety Training company) . Plumbing is different over here, almost every trade is different over in fact. They couldn't give two s&%^s about how you did what in the UK, all they want to know is can you do it to Aussie standards? Usually this means being backed up by a qualification or three so be prepared to go back to school, regardless of how many years you've been doing it in the UK. It will be frustrating but get over it, adopt an immigrant mentality, do what you need to do to succeed. If you want to work like they do in the UK, stay there. If you want to work in Australia then you have to learn to do it their way. It's best to get this into your head early on. My suggestion would be to go in as a general labourer in construction and as soon as your employer realises that you can do more than just push a broom around they will start to give you a go at maybe some plumbing etc.

You're not (or are extremely unlikely to) going to get off the plane and be offered a plumbing job with the same level of authority or remuneration as you had in the UK. The Australian construction industry philosophy is 'treat them like an imbecile until proved otherwise'. You have said that you have a friend with some contacts, good for you, milk them as much as possible but be prepared to take a less than direct path to where you want to be. You'll get there. I started as a labourer in construction in WA on mine construction projects just to get my foot in the door then moved into Health and Safety and now I have my own company teaching the Supervisors and Managers what to do. Not bad for 4 years!

who are you planning on coming over with? i am 26 and have 10 years experience, i had every qualification going back home in the UK, i worked for a smallish company for 5 years doing new build and upgrade work to old systems, 1 day heatings etc, then i started for British Gas and was with them for 5 years until i came here, try air b and b for accomodation, they have an excellent variety or apartments, studios etc for rent. i am not living in a townhouse for 6 months renting. I found it a major struggle finding a rental as i also brought my dog with me and not many landlords accept pets here, the whole move has been very stressfull and so far has cost in the region of £30,000 gbp to get where i am today, but starting to not use my uk card as much and starting to rely on my wages, it would of been alot more however had i not of started working a week after arriving. You will struggle to find a job in plumbing with no Aus experience but alot of jobs over here is its not what you know its who you know, if you have a friend who could get you in the door then your laughing, if you cant get a start in plumbing maybe try for jobs as a sprinkler fitters or plumbers labourer, you will pickup the basics of what type of work you will be doing, Plumbers do everything over here like digging there own trenches and running gas and water mains from the road, i was suprised at how much they do, last week i cut up a road with a stihl saw and trenched the road up for a 6" copper water main, i would never of done that back home. But once you get your foot in the door somewhere or even just on the building site, get talking to people, i have made good friends with sprinkler foreman on my site at the moment and i think they are going to take me on as an adult apprentice, it will take me 3 years to re train but personally i think sprinkler fitting is a better job over here. There is alot more opportunities in Australia to make progress and possibly take a different career route, i have only been here 3 months and have learnt a hell of a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mate

Im in the process of the Visa 189 and work as a Plumber in the East of England ,We are doing it without the aid of a migration agent and have just passed the IELTS English Exam and Had a successful application for the TRA.Dont you fancy doing it with out a agent?

If you need some help post me back.

Where are you looking to head in Au ?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

Nice to hear from you, iv literally just paid the agents fee and i believe the next step is proof of qualifications etc. Have you done the trade assesment yet? and how was the IELTS test? I currently live and work in Hull, and im looking at moving to either adelaide, or meblourne however nothing is set in stone in relation to location as i might have to wait to see which state has nominated my trade. How about yourself? were are you looking at moving to?

Look forward to hear from you.

Cheers

Matt

Matt

The IELTS exam is tricky and its worth going on line and going on the IELTS web site and downloading the practice questions.I had revised and passed to gain a further 10 points for the Visa.Its worth booking it in ASAP so it takes the pressure of when you get further down the road for the Visa.

after a small amount of revision the exam becomes easier so head down and do it!

We are looking to move to North Brisbane a place called Peregian Springs or Noosa.

How long have you been Plumbing in the UK for ? Ive had 14 years. with the last 10 running a company.

TRA is completed and successful worth putting in lots and lots of info and pictures.

Regards

Could I ask that you go on the sister site "poms in Adelaide", and read the "plumbing thread" and "warning to plumbers" thread by Dalton, It's "bib and braces" stuff and tells you how it is, with both the pros and cons as a plumber and the training and the RPL for your cert 3 and the training required for your cert 4. It is factual and straight to the point. Its worth a read.

hope this helps.

Steve

I was asked to complete a questionnaire by my migration agent asking if iv had experience in areas such as fitting water sprinklers, trench support, oxy cutting, etc. Im a domestic plumber maintaining 200 properties. The need to provide trench support doesn't fit the job description in my current job. The agent believes i need to gain further experience in these fields to successfully pass the trade assessment.

What did you make of the trade assessment? What does the documentary side of the TRA assessment consist of? I cant imagine many plumbers have experiance in providing trench support unless your running mains water and gas supplies to properties. I have so much riding on this VISA as its my dream to live in Australia. Sorry to bombard you with questions but your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Steve

I was asked to complete a questionnaire by my migration agent asking if iv had experience in areas such as fitting water sprinklers, trench support, oxy cutting, etc. Im a domestic plumber maintaining 200 properties. The need to provide trench support doesn't fit the job description in my current job. The agent believes i need to gain further experience in these fields to successfully pass the trade assessment.

What did you make of the trade assessment? What does the documentary side of the TRA assessment consist of? I cant imagine many plumbers have experiance in providing trench support unless your running mains water and gas supplies to properties. I have so much riding on this VISA as its my dream to live in Australia. Sorry to bombard you with questions but your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Hey mate,

Ive been here over 2 years now and have never had a problem getting plumbing work. Its true that the Aussies are stuck in their ways regarding the Australian Standards etc and as mentioned before - 'treat them like an moron until they prove otherwise" but from my experience the do give you a fair go. Bloody hell, one company director even said to me in an interview that my UK experience did very little to help my career! I proved the idiot wrong. With regards to the TRA assessment just say that you can do everything - thats what I did even though there were a a couple of things that I had none/very little experience in and to this day hasn't affected me getting work. Just use your common sense.

Good luck with it all

Hey mate,

Ive been here over 2 years now and have never had a problem getting plumbing work. Its true that the Aussies are stuck in their ways regarding the Australian Standards etc and as mentioned before - 'treat them like an moron until they prove otherwise" but from my experience the do give you a fair go. Bloody hell, one company director even said to me in an interview that my UK experience did very little to help my career! I proved the idiot wrong. With regards to the TRA assessment just say that you can do everything - thats what I did even though there were a a couple of things that I had none/very little experience in and to this day hasn't affected me getting work. Just use your common sense.

Good luck with it all

Hey mate

thanks for that advice. I'm going to email the agent saying I wish to proceed as he recommended that I delay a while until I gain further experience in areas such as installing a fire hose etc. my plan is to read a little about the things I'm not to sure on, and then if I'm asked about them I'll no the installation process etc.

fingers crossed.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys

I have successfully lodged all my evidence to Vetasess, i.e certificates, references etc. Can any one tell me what the practical or technical assessment is like for a general plumber? will i need to revise? will vetasess provide me with any information on what to revise for before going into the test centre? I am little nervous as i don't like going in blind. I have also got my IELTS to do as well. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lewis

Archived