EX British Armed Forces Question

CaptainC

As a former member of the armed forces I was wondering if anybody has faced additional questions or requests for military service records from DIAC following a declaration of service in the forces on form 80.

I have found that the MOD offer a subject access disclosure of personnel records which I intend to apply for if necessary. I'd like to be prepared for any eventuality when applying for a visa.

Thanks

Guest Guest 47403
As a former member of the armed forces I was wondering if anybody has faced additional questions or requests for military service records from DIAC following a declaration of service in the forces on form 80.

I have found that the MOD offer a subject access disclosure of personnel records which I intend to apply for if necessary. I'd like to be prepared for any eventuality when applying for a visa.

Thanks

No the only things I provided were the first 2 pages of my certificate of service, the first page has name, date of birth where you enlisted and your medals, decorations etc, the second page has details of your conduct. Was never asked for anything else at all.

Neither myself or hubby have been asked for anything extra so far. We just provided scanned copies of our discharge papers.

That's a relief.

I don't want to even imagine how long it would take to get a subject access from the MOD what with that official secrets act and suchlike, but I suspect 'an eternity' would be a good guess!

• 2 weeks later...
Neither myself or hubby have been asked for anything extra so far. We just provided scanned copies of our discharge papers.

Just saw that you got your visa grant, congratulations!! Don't suppose they did ask any more of you other than your discharge?

My son was asked for proof of (type of employment) and MOD wouldn't provide it. He had been in IT on a guided missile system (rapier in it's early days I think)

Thankfully I didn't do anything like that and my clearance was fairly basic.

Out of interest, how did he get around that problem?

Thankfully I didn't do anything like that and my clearance was fairly basic.

Out of interest, how did he get around that problem?

He didn't. He was actually in artillery and studied IT in his spare time. His rapier detachemnt was attached to the yanks in the first gulf war as they had no low level missile protection. When he came back the army gave him further IT training in security but wouldn't release details as to what he did after his discharge. He had to prove 8yrs prac (I think it was then) to immi or some Oz governing IT body, and as he'd only been out of the mob 2 yrs, and could only prove that prac, immi knocked him back. As it turned out, 2 yrs later he applied for a directors job (civil service network security) and the OZ dream went out the window as his 85K salary came in.

He didn't. He was actually in artillery and studied IT in his spare time. His rapier detachemnt was attached to the yanks in the first gulf war as they had no low level missile protection. When he came back the army gave him further IT training in security but wouldn't release details as to what he did after his discharge. He had to prove 8yrs prac (I think it was then) to immi or some Oz governing IT body, and as he'd only been out of the mob 2 yrs, and could only prove that prac, immi knocked him back. As it turned out, 2 yrs later he applied for a directors job (civil service network security) and the OZ dream went out the window as his 85K salary came in.

Oh well things happen for a reason and I guess your sons situation is really fortunate!

I'm not claiming points for work in the military as I've been in the merchant navy for 13 years. The Army was in my younger years 16-21.

I think all they are really interested in is whether you are AWOL. As with all the others, I declared my service, and included a copy of my discharge medical. Neither of the case officers (457 and 186) made any reference to military service at all in any follow up questions they asked.

Archived