6.20pm and I think I shall pop down to Clovelly or Bronte for a swim!

MARYROSE02

It feels a little cooler outside, now, had a bit of rain this week. The water should still be warm enough though.

I might go up to Chatswood RSL later on, get the train from Central. I think my pal Bill is going from St Ives to watch the Swans game there.

Yes, I am at Clovelly now. High tide and water was a bit rough so I swam from steps to the beach rather than back to the steps as I find it difficult to get out of water. Sitting with my back to the wall watching jets come into land,.one a minute from the north east. Almost dark now at 7 20. Water is lapping over concrete so I have,my feet up! Am on Coogee side. I like,other side too, have to go on Boundary rd past the cemetery with the best view in the world but nobody to appreciate it! I think the poet,who wrote about "Bellbirds" Kendall? Is buried there.

How lovely, I used to live in Coogee so used to go down to Clovelly and Bronte a lot. I loved the bit old cemetery up on the cliff there

Stayed in Coogee and used to frequent the ra ra's club (Randwick)

Clovelly is thumbs.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Stayed in Coogee and used to frequent the ra ra's club (Randwick)

Clovelly is thumbs.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

I know where it is, but have never been inside. The Ella brothers played for Randwick, I think? Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever been to any rugby club in Sydney, maybe one behind Circular Quay, and is the Northern Subs one at North Sydney?

Being a wimp, I stay away from any beach with a hint of surf, hence no Coogee or Bondi or Maroubra. Bronte has surf, but I keep to the two pools, either rock or 'proper'. Even at Clovelly last night, I was a little nervous going into the water because it was a high tide with water washing over the sides, which is why I went in from the steps but swam to the sand.

Bronte and Clovelly are much easier to park at too, with Clovelly being completely free, and Bronte free up the road from the beach. It's more of a hassle finding a spot at Bondi or Coogee, although easy enough at Maroubra.

4.45 pm so must make my sandwich and head off for my swim today too.

Guest Guest40285
How lovely, I used to live in Coogee so used to go down to Clovelly and Bronte a lot. I loved the bit old cemetery up on the cliff there

I used to do security at the Coogee Bay Hotel and Selinas, great times

Photo was taken at the cafe strip at Bronte. Here's another from same day:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23754[/ATTACH]

I thought I recognized Bronte in that first one, and I can see that this one is looking towards the pool under the cliff? This side of the pool wall is another 'rock pool' which I'd never been into until last month. I wonder what that stump was in the rock? Some of the old photos of the beaches reveal big differences, eg, a long pier (just like a Pommie beach one) at Coogee, and a fun fair, with big dipper at Tamarama.

I used to do security at the Coogee Bay Hotel and Selinas, great times

When it was owned by 'Terry Paige?' I sometimes drive past the Coogee Bay and I think they have a fingerprinting (or something odd?) way of marshalling people in now?

These new licensing restrictions have brought some changes too, no take out liquor sold after 10 pm, people going out for a smoke or to use an ATM around 1.30 and not able to get back into the bar/club.

I think 'Selina's' was just the name for the 'disco' part of the Coogee Bay hotel, back in the 80's I guess. (Showing my 'vintage' saying 'disco' as opposed to, what?, 'clubbing?')

I had a swim at Clovelly on Monday night, Tuesday, went to the pool in Prince Alfred Park, Wednesday it was quiz night at the Strawberry Hills hotel, and today, well my excuse is I had a flu injection at work. I did have a bit of a snuffle too, all in my mind. I do love a swim, but the drive down is a bit of a hassle.

Glorious day too, and I hope for more. (Sod 'global warming!)

Archived