Owning a motorbike less than 12 months before moving to Oz - can it be taken with??

SaffanZimbo

OH has been offered a "fantastic deal" on a 2001 model motorbike (don't ask me the make/model, I'm clueless when it comes to 2 wheeled motored forms of transport). I am almost 100% sure that we will not be able to take it with when we move later this year (our container is due to be shipped in October/November).

I think that on a PR visa you have to have owned and used a vehicle for the 12 months before the move and provided proof to this effect in order to take the vehicle with.

The bike in question and a UK value of £2-3k so nothing valuable - but a "rare find" which OH would dearly love to take with..... is there any chance this can be done or should he not even bother buying it?? The seller needs an answer tomorrow and despite my google searches I cannot find anything which we could use as a loophole....

Thoughts anyone? :huh:

Have you read Iron Chef's sticky..."Everything you need to know......" at the top of the Transport sub forum?

I can't remember the details off the top of my head but think it's not a case of you can't bring it ....it's just that Customs will charge more to allow entry. So it will be up to OH to decide whether it's worth the extra cost to him.

Thank you for your responses. Don't let on to OH but I am a little glad that the Oz regulations will not permit him to take the bike in question as it makes the paperwork and container shipping much, much simpler if there is no motorbike to add to the equation!

• 2 weeks later...

This is my experience.

I had bought a new car in a December and for personal reasons I found out I had to move well within the 12 months. I emailed the transport dept in June and had a v helpful reply asking me to submit my application with a letter explaining the circumstances. I also showed the time I had owned the previous car and added that it was a genuine request and I was not intending to sell the car. I received the permit quickly allowing me to ship after 7 months ownership If I wished to. The car left the UK when I had owned it for less than 12 months.

Archived