Brother to join me?

docboat

I was looking some time ago into the options for getting my little brother out here to join me. He is 57 now, possibly could retire on an early pension, but also could work as a graphic designer. As far as I can see from the complicated visa options, there is no way he would qualify for a visa, nor as a family member. Does anyone have any ideas as to which visa might enable him to come to Australia? No, he cannot invest huge sums in a business.

He is unlikely to be eligible for any visa that will enable him to join you on a long term basis.

He is over the age of eligibility for anything other than a temporary 457 visa and would not be able to get a permanent skilled immigration visa under any circumstances, so forget skilled immigration as an option. Even a succession of temporary visas would eventually come to an end and he would then have to leave the country.

If he can't meet the high financial and other requirements for a business visa, that's also out as an option.

The ONLY visa he might have any chance of qualifying for is a Remaining Relative visa and they're very difficult to qualify for. To be eligible to apply, neither he (NOR his partner if he has one), can have any siblings or parents (step or otherwise) who are not Australian Permanent Residents or citizens who actually live in Australia. Only a very small number are available each year and they are currently taking 16+ years to be processed.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/115.aspx Remaining Relative visa

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/other-family-visa-queue.htm Other Family visa queue

I was looking some time ago into the options for getting my little brother out here to join me. He is 57 now, possibly could retire on an early pension, but also could work as a graphic designer. As far as I can see from the complicated visa options, there is no way he would qualify for a visa, nor as a family member. Does anyone have any ideas as to which visa might enable him to come to Australia? No, he cannot invest huge sums in a business.

Have you run the case past a registered migration agent?

There is a last remaining relative visa, if he is the last in his immediate family outside Australia. What is your family situation and his, is he married, children etc.? Otherwise, no I would be fairly certain there is not a visa for him, there isn't for everyone.

There is a last remaining relative visa, if he is the last in his immediate family outside Australia. What is your family situation and his, is he married, children etc.? Otherwise, no I would be fairly certain there is not a visa for him, there isn't for everyone.

From all that, he would not qualify. Ah well - but he can visit, and visit often, I suppose. We were all living here in the 1960s but after leaving he settled in Scotland, while I continued roaming. Sister would not return - happy to visit, but not live. Thank you for the replies!

Archived