Accountant move to Oz, claiming only for experience not education?

Dommie

Long-time reader of the site, but never posted. I recently started on the journey to move to Australia (hopefully). I am an Accountant (yes another one) with six years’ experience and I’ve just finished a 2 year degree.

I am almost certain that my ‘degree’ will not be classed as equivalent to an Australian degree so I am hoping to NOT claim points for this and use my experience instead, which is all related to Accountant (General).

I have already taken my IELTS test.

I did want to use agent, but I really do not have the funds for this. This is my points break down

Age 33-39 = 25 points

Superior English - IELTS 8 = 20 points

Work Five years overseas = 10 points

Points Total = 55 points

I would be moving with my husband and we would be happy to live in regional Australia. If I’m understanding correctly this would take me to 65 points.

Hi,

That would take you to 65 points. State Sponsorship for 489 (regional) gives you ten more points. However State sponsorship for 190 visa gives you only five additional points. So depending on which you choose - 190 or 489 - you can end up with 60 or 65 points....

Rgds

Huss

From what you've told us, I think you're unlikely to be able to get a positive skills assessment as an accountant and without one, you are simply not eligible for any points tested (189, 190 or 489) visa. A positive skills assessment is also required for a Direct Entry employer sponsored 186 ENS visa. Even when a formal skills assessment isn't required for 187 and 457 visas, your qualifications must meet the standard defined in ANZSCO.

The 3 organisations responsible for conducting skills assessments for accountants are not interested in work experience as a substitute for formal education - all they care about are your qualifications and the subjects you covered while obtaining those qualifications. Check out their requirements; the educational requirements for all 3 are identical. Here's a link to one of them.

http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/become-a-cpa/migration-assessment

Even if your degree is found to be acceptable, I think you'll find that only post qualification work experience is eligible for points, sot that's another problem.

Sorry to be so negative, but surely it's better to be realistic about your chances - a good agent would have been able to tell you all of this after an initial very inexpensive or even free initial consultation.

Further reading and it seems I cannot apply as Accountants need something comparable to an Australian Degree to apply

You said in post one that you re an accountant. In which case your accountancy qualification is equivalent to a degree. Or are you not an accountant? In which case there is no way you would pass skills assessment so this is a non starter.

FYI my hubby is an accountant Dommie...and he doesn't have a degree at all, he went straight into accountancy. His ACCA qualification is considered equivalent to a bachelors degree as confirmed by his positive skills assessment. Rupert is correct - if you have accountancy qualifications then these may be considered the same. Depends what you have.

If you are a current member of one of the following, you should be ok for a positive pre-migratiopn skills assessment:

• The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales
  • The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland
  • Chartered Accountants Ireland
  • Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (including members of associated provincial and territorial institutes)
  • A legally constituted State Authority in the United States of America (the person having CPA status) subject to appropriate service. Also having a Licence to Practice in the state of issue
  • The South African Institute of Chartered Accountants
  • The New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants (members of the College of Chartered Accountants)
  • The Hong Kong Institute of Public Accountants (only members who have completed the HKICPA Qualifications Programme and trained under an Authorised Employer/Supervisor).

If you are not a member of one of the above bodies, or even if you are, you might consider consulting a registered migration agent for advice about possible visa strategies.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I was wondering I am an accountant and I have graduated with a new Zealand degree and I have been working for nearly a year and for the skills to be assessed do I need work experience??? because It is very difficult to get a reference letter from my previous company and does only a positive qualification assessment enough for points?

Depending on your type of visa you are applying for you only need 60 points to apply. As I had enough points from other things I didn't need to assess my work experience. But if you did you would need employment letters or payslips.

Depending on your type of visa you are applying for you only need 60 points to apply. As I had enough points from other things I didn't need to assess my work experience. But if you did you would need employment letters or payslips.

Thank you Tam tam , My partner is the main applicant and we are still short of 5 points and thought I could claim points for partner skills and was wondering if CPA or CA required any experience letters in order for a skills assessment :)

Thank you Tam tam , My partner is the main applicant and we are still short of 5 points and thought I could claim points for partner skills and was wondering if CPA or CA required any experience letters in order for a skills assessment :)

No they do not. Is your partners job on the SOL?

• 1 month later...

I have 30 points for age and 20 points for ielts ( band score 8 ) and partner skills 5 points and I have an accounting degree from new Zealand ( Hopefully 15 points) ... But the only fact that is many are discouraging me to put through as the main applicant as I have only 8 months of accounting work experience. can someone guide me on this ? thanks

I have 30 points for age and 20 points for ielts ( band score 8 ) and partner skills 5 points and I have an accounting degree from new Zealand ( Hopefully 15 points) ... But the only fact that is many are discouraging me to put through as the main applicant as I have only 8 months of accounting work experience. can someone guide me on this ? thanks

I don't see what the issue is? No work experience is required and as long as you're making an accurate assessment of your situation you'll have 65 points which is fine for an invite (don't bother with the partner skills unless you've already met the criteria).

*edit* I see on an earlier post you're the secondary applicant. With that score why not be the main applicant?

I don't see what the issue is? No work experience is required and as long as you're making an accurate assessment of your situation you'll have 65 points which is fine for an invite (don't bother with the partner skills unless you've already met the criteria).

*edit* I see on an earlier post you're the secondary applicant. With that score why not be the main applicant?

firstly I was going to be the main applicant but most of the agents said that for skill migration work experience is essential and my partner would be a better option as he has 3 years of experience ...

If he applies as the main applicant ( Age = 30 , Degree = 15 , Experience = 5 and Partner skills =5) he is trying to re- do ielts again at the moment so that he could get 7 so another 10 .... but is finding it hard to do the exams amidst work and stuff

if I am the main applicant ( Age= 30 , Degree= 15 ( haven't assessed yet, as I am worried they will ask for work experience for general accountants ) Ielts= 20 & Partner skills= 5 )

Just worried about the work experience part for general accountant category ... :(

Archived