457 Sponsorship

Hi Everyone,

We're a tiny bit further down the line than we were last time I wrote. Certainly in terms of research in any event. I've spoken to a couple of Migration Agents and both tell me that 457 is our only option. We're 5 points short of a skilled visa because OH diploma only comes up to a 40 point occupation (HNC). OH is a Sales Manager in the wine trade, he's 43 and I'm a legal secretary aged 42 - both of us have over 20 years experience in our occupations. We're wanting to move to South Australia. We've both sent out CVs and had some very favourable responses but all saying 'Give me a call when you get here' - its very frustrating as we can't get there without a job ! Has anyone used 'Thinking Australia' ? They have a Jobfinder that costs £100 but then they send you details of jobs ? If anyone has anything positive to say about this service, please let me know and we'll sign up right away. Right now I'm just so frustrated - 'get in line' I hear you say ! :wacko:

Any advice would be fantastic, especially from a moderator or someone in our position. I spoke with Concept Australia today who seemed to think 457 was a risky option .

I see from Migration Issues forum that lots of people have got 457 visas, how on earth did you manage to get sponsorship ?

Fiona

xx

Guest Jamie Smith

Hello Fiona

It's a numbers game, you will need to increase the breadth and volume of contacts made with employers. I would split my time as 3/4 direct to employers, 1/4 with portals and recruiters. That reflects the fact that 1/4 of jobs are ever advertised, and the other 3/4 you have to hunt out.

The 100GBP service sounds like a CV mailout to known contacts of the agent of all types (not necessarily compatible with your occupations) , there's not much more you can do with that level of fee.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Fiona

Welcome to POms in Oz.

I reckon that Jamie Smith of Hire A Migrant (whose honesty with our members impresses me greatly) is telling it like it is, especially when the person's skills are not on the MODL.

Keep plugging away at it.

Best wishes

Gill

Thanks Gill and Jamie for your replies and advice. We do need to broaden our spectrum of contact, up to now we have mostly approached small independent growers and wholesalers, probably who are too small to sponsor in any event. We'll keep at it. In the meantime Jamie is there anything you could help us with ?

Guest paul08

Hi Fiona

I have just come out of a national recruitment management role including a part of business that have offices in Barossa wine region, and part of company I worked for have access to many major law firms.

Happy to see if I can help out. Let me know as I placed over 50 457 applicants when I was recruiting, and companies certainly need some hand holding before they will commit.

Cheers

Paul

Archived