Home contents mainland to Tasmania costs pls

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tastastic,

I seem to recall your name inviting me to be a 'friend' on a genealogy forum. However, I didn't continue with it. The lady I'm thinking of is a teacher in Hobart.

When I look at the bottom of this page there are links to several boards, but none of them is for Tasmania. Can you please give me a link to it as that would be the sensible place for me to post.

Thanks for your reply,

Joan

Skani beat me to it! ?

It wasn't me who invited you to the genealogy thing, Joan (unless it was some kind of spam?). I hope someone can help you on the Tasmania board. I really should get back on there myself actually. Might see you around!

Good morning,

Hot and steamy up here in Qld today.....yuk. No, I don't think it was spam. The lady said she was a teacher. Perhaps just a coincidence in the similarity of ID names.

Have you actually made it to Oz yet? I have posted on the Tasmania board so perhaps something will come of that.

Joan

Hi.

Sounds like it must have been someone with a similar name them.

We haven't moved yet. Latest plan is that we move this September (yikes!). We kind of fell in love with Tasmania when we visited but I must admit we do have a few worries about the employment situation there. So we are considering NSW also, although my heart is with Tas I must admit!

So I gather you're looking forward to moving away from the Queensland climate ? I couldn't cope with the weather there. It does look beautiful though. Have you visited Tasmania much? Which area are you looking at? We're hoping to make it to somewhere in the Blackmans Bay/Woodbrige/Cygnet area.

Hello again,

Where you should live would, I suppose, what kind of work you are hoping to find. As far as I am aware, Tassie is not exactly flush in jobs. But then, very few places are these days. Tradies usually manage to make a good living in most states.

I hadn't considered southern Tas as it would be that much colder than the northern parts but the cost of houses is a big factor as far as our move is concerned and I thought I would take a look at those suburbs on the eastern side of Hobart. All I need to do now is find out living costs for the area. I am now quite up to date with the northern parts would run out at annually.

Unlike you, we have never even visited Tasmania so not sure what we will find. However, we started out life in Oz in Victoria and gradually (over 40+ years) moved further and further north to where we are now in mid-Qld. As for the temperatures, did you get a look at what the southern states of the country had to put up with this year? Unheard-of highs especially in SA and Vic and for long periods of weeks. In the old days, you got 2 or 3 days around 39º and then a cool change, but not this last year. Hotter than up here in Qld for a lot of the time.

Take care and do all the research you can before the move as it will save you money and heartache in the long run.

Joan

I hadn't considered southern Tas as it would be that much colder than the northern parts

Oh no....there are so many microclimates in Tassie that you can't make those sort of assumptions.

For example, Launceston is colder at night in winter than Hobart. And I know that where my niece lives (and my mother in law for many years) at Evandale, outside of Launceston, has much colder, frostier and foggier winter weather than I do here in Hobart.

We usually have warmer day time temperatures here than the north west coast of Tassie also.

So, for climate, each location needs to be checked separately.

Archived