vickyplum

Does anyone has experience of paying voluntary NI contributions back to the UK whilst in Australia?

This hadn't occurred to me until my partner mentioned something about needing to pay NI for 30 years, to qualify for UK state pension!

The process seems simple enough but just wanted to see how it works in real life.

ta :)

Does anyone has experience of paying voluntary NI contributions back to the UK whilst in Australia?

This hadn't occurred to me until my partner mentioned something about needing to pay NI for 30 years, to qualify for UK state pension!

The process seems simple enough but just wanted to see how it works in real life.

ta :)

This is what I received to my enquiry in May 2012 on the type of info they require. However, in the first instance, I found this in a search and I would have a look here: http://search.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/contactus/view.page?record=OLul3tPejl4&titleindex=0.

I note though that the address at the bottom of my reply is different to the one in the website link I provided; I'd go with the website link since it is current.

I believe applicants are limited to the number of years to which you are permitted to backdate payments for; it didn't affect me so I can't remember how many.

I also got frustrated on the phone and email...I found it difficult to prove who I was and ended up going round in circles hence although it was slower, it got it done fairly easily and quickly by using the outdated methodology of simple regular Auspost and Royal Mail services.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thank you for contacting HMRC International Caseworker.

If you want to know if you can pay contributions from 6 April 2004 at the cheaper Class 2 rate, please let us know all of the following information.

. What was the name and address of your last employer/self employed business in

the UK (before you went abroad) ?

. What was the exact date that employment or self-employment ended ?

. Were you employed, self employed or registered as unemployed during the week

before you went abroad ?

. What was the exact date that you went abroad ?

. What were/are the name (s) and address (es) of all of your employer (s)/self-

employed businesses from 6 April 2004 ?

. What was/is the nature of each of these employments/self employments ?

. What was/is the exact dates of all of these employments /self employments ?

. Please note, if you are ( or have been) employed or self-employed abroad we may ask for proof.

. Voluntary contributions paid at one rate cannot be later converted to another rate

simply because they are cheaper.

This information should be sent to :

HM Revenue and Customs

International Caseworker

Room BP1301

BentonPark View

Newcastle upon Tyne

NE 98 1ZZ

or faxed to 44 191 2259570 Please do not email as we need your signature on your reply.

We can not advise you regarding Council Tax. You can find information on Council Tax Benefit on the DirectGov website.