Motor Insurance

Kpnuts

I understand that the registration of a motor vehicle in AU also cover third party insurance. I further understand that this 'government' insurance only covers personal injury to a third party and does not cover damage to the third party vehicle or any other property.

When I was in AU last November (Perth), my daughter let me use her vehicle and said that there was no problem with the insurance as it was all covered under the registration. It was only later when I learned of the basic cover.

When I get to AU it would be my intention to purchase a full comprehensive motor policy but my question is, there must be a great deal of people driving in AU on this very basic cover. What happens in the event of a crash? Does this mean that you would have to raise a civil recovery claim against the other party? How difficult is this and what are the issues based on any personal experiences?

I would imagine there are many crashes which result in many claims against damaged cars not being paid by the guilty party!

Thanks

In WA the Third Party Insurance included in the vehicle registration is for damage to people only and does not cover the vehicle. Anyone driving without any insurance for property damage is considered an uninsured driver in WA and could end up with a conviction if involved in an accident. I don't personally know anyone who doesn't have vehicle insurance, but I am sure there are some around. I have a fully comp policy as I have a new car, but there are reasonably priced policies available for Third Party Fire and Theft - whereby any damage you do to the other vehicle is covered if you are found at fault.

Archived