Spousal Visa - need to reapply after five years to travel abroad?

Guest Redster

Guest Redster

Hi,

Having read the immigration website five ways from Sunday before applying for my spousal visa I was aware of the two step process, apply for a temporary visa, and two years later finish the process with an application for the permanent visa.

Our temporary visa was issued Nov 2012, and having just recently arrived in Victoria I have revisited the immigration website to determine my Medicare allowance.

I have come across the following information regarding what I may do if the permanent visa is issued: 'travel to and from Australia for five years.....after that time you will need another visa to enter australia'

Are you kidding me! How did I miss this! Is this new?

Do I have to do the whole thing again or simply apply for an evisa when I want to go home? It stands to reason a person who was granted a visa to live in Australia comes from elsewhere and may actually want to visit home from time to time, why the requirement to apply for a new visa after five years! I'm fuming.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon but it's something to do with being a resident and not a citizen all permanent residents have to do this after five years. I think the cost is minimal and the visa is a returning residents visa. It encourages people to become citizens or not travel overseas ;-)

Hi,

Having read the immigration website five ways from Sunday before applying for my spousal visa I was aware of the two step process, apply for a temporary visa, and two years later finish the process with an application for the permanent visa.

Our temporary visa was issued Nov 2012, and having just recently arrived in Victoria I have revisited the immigration website to determine my Medicare allowance.

I have come across the following information regarding what I may do if the permanent visa is issued: 'travel to and from Australia for five years.....after that time you will need another visa to enter australia'

Are you kidding me! How did I miss this! Is this new?

Do I have to do the whole thing again or simply apply for an evisa when I want to go home? It stands to reason a person who was granted a visa to live in Australia comes from elsewhere and may actually want to visit home from time to time, why the requirement to apply for a new visa after five years! I'm fuming.

When a permanent visa is granted, it is genuinely permanent and you can stay in Australia forever without needing to re-apply or renew your visa BUT your right to re-enter Australia as a Permanent Resident expires after 5 years. If you wish to travel overseas after the 5 year expiry of your re-entry rights or if you are outside Australia when the 5 years comes around, the only way you can get back into Australia as a PR is if you have a Resident Return visa.

If you have spent at least 2 years out of the previous 5 in Australia on your permanent visa, you will have no trouble getting a 5 year RRV which resets your right of re-entry for another 5 years. If you have spent less than 2 years out of the previous 5 in Australia on your permanent visa, it's a bit more tricky but you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a RRV for 1 year (or perhaps 3 months). Read the following under 'Visa applicants' > 'Who could get this visa' for the requirements for qualifying for an RRV:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/155-157.aspx RRV

Archived