Just applied for Citizenship..how long before test date?

ajs604

Hi, just sent all my documents back for the citizenship, applied last Thursday. Just wondereing how long it will take until I get a test date I live in the Melbourne area? I have elected to do my test under melton City Council, if anyone knows if I can get processed slightly quicker in another area please let me know. I am keen to travel on a holiday this year to Asia so hope the process is not too long!

Hey there congrats on becoming an Aussie. It's a great feeling when you actually become Australian. I'm thinking back when I did mine in 2011. We heard back fairky quickly think it was only about a month then we had our citizenship ceremony date about 4 weeks after that so I would leave about a 3 month window to be safe. Good luck!!'

We applied for Citizenship and got a call within two weeks to do the tests. We then received a call a week or so after completing the tests advising us of a date. We were given a choice of two dates, one just happened to be Australia Day 2011 which we took. There are set dates for citizenship ceremonies so you may have to work around one of those, but your test date should come through pretty quick. Whilst I used to live in Melbourne we took our test in Launceston Tas where we now live.

Hi, just sent all my documents back for the citizenship, applied last Thursday. Just wondereing how long it will take until I get a test date I live in the Melbourne area? I have elected to do my test under melton City Council, if anyone knows if I can get processed slightly quicker in another area please let me know. I am keen to travel on a holiday this year to Asia so hope the process is not too long!

I applied (online) last Tuesday, and received an email today with my citizenship interview/test appointment. Also based in Melbourne.

My test is next Weds.

Hope this helps!

We did our test in Dec (also in Melbourne), we were advised of the test 2 weeks before we did it. However, we are still waiting for a ceremony. I have called my local council who were able to give me the ceremony dates but said immigration are the one's who inform you when you will have the ceremony. Called immigration and they were unable to tell us when we might have the ceremony, simply saying it can be anywhere from 3-6 months from the test.

Thanks for your replies veryone, so hopefully I will hear in a few days.

Just to get a few things sorted. I am not required to do a UK police check, just an aussie one? I havent left Australia for more than a week since I came here four years ago?

Thanks

We did our test in Dec (also in Melbourne), we were advised of the test 2 weeks before we did it. However, we are still waiting for a ceremony. I have called my local council who were able to give me the ceremony dates but said immigration are the one's who inform you when you will have the ceremony. Called immigration and they were unable to tell us when we might have the ceremony, simply saying it can be anywhere from 3-6 months from the test.

Hi SKW... can I ask what local council you fall under?

Thanks for your replies veryone, so hopefully I will hear in a few days.

Just to get a few things sorted. I am not required to do a UK police check, just an aussie one? I havent left Australia for more than a week since I came here four years ago?

Thanks

Correct... a police check is only required if you have spent 12 months or more in a given country since being granted your permanent residency (as per http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/files/pid_docs/conferral_checklist/) - Good Character Documents section.

The Aussie one, you have to complete a police checking form and submit as part of your application (or provide the details during your online application) - you don't need to apply for an Aus police clearance certificate like you might have had to when applying for PR.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was similar. Applied 24-Feb, got an email on 27-Feb saying the test date was 14-Mar. Sat the test, online tracking system was updated the same day to reflect "applicant approved". On 18-Mar received a letter (dated the same day as the test) notifying approval. Now just have to wait for the council to organise the ceremony. My council is Monash, and their next date is late May, so fingers crossed.

Mine was similar. Applied 24-Feb, got an email on 27-Feb saying the test date was 14-Mar. Sat the test, online tracking system was updated the same day to reflect "applicant approved". On 18-Mar received a letter (dated the same day as the test) notifying approval. Now just have to wait for the council to organise the ceremony. My council is Monash, and their next date is late May, so fingers crossed.

My wife had her appointment yesterday and online it's showing as approved, so we just need to wait for a date.

My council is Port Phillip. The immigration officer said it's not one of their busier councils so hopefully it won't be too long. No rush really as long as it's in the pipeline.

Archived