How quickly can I start my new job on 457?

BadgerLady

Hia,

This seems like an easy question but I've been searching all morning and can't find the answer!

I was granted a 457 in October 2013. In January by company was acquired by a larger company who took on the 457 nomination - this was approved within a couple of weeks and there was no gap in employment, which may be because both company entities were running simultaneously.

I'd now like to leave and have been offered employment by an agency that is an approved 457 nominator and is willing to do the transfer.

But do I have to wait for that transfer to complete before I can start my new job? Or can I start as soon as they've applied to take on the nomination? Worst case, do I have to cease employment while I wait for the transfer to happen?

You cannot start working for the new sponsor until the new nomination is approved. You can cease employment with your current sponsor, but be aware of the risk - if the new sponsor's nomination isn't approved, you are left without a sponsor and 90 days to find one.

Thanks guys :-) Pretty much as I feared then...

The new agency won't start nomination proceedings until I have a firm contract offer, and my current employer requires 4 weeks notice...

Not knowing how long the nomination will take, I either have to hand in my notice early and hope the visa comes through in time, or I have to find someone willing to offer me a contract with no firm start date! Tricky...

Once nomination comes through you are allowed to wrk your notice with old employer..I was in similar situation and phoned immi to ask

Yes, but generally these contract positions demand 'must be available to start within 2 weeks'. I'm already stretching their request by saying that I have to work 4 weeks notice...

The normal notice period is 4 weeks, so expecting you to be available in 2 weeks seems unusual. I definitely wouldn't give notice with your current sponsor until the nomination is approved. It's not unusual for things to get delayed or cancelled or possibly the nomination wouldn't be approved. Finding yourself without a sponsor is a big risk.

The normal notice period is 4 weeks, so expecting you to be available in 2 weeks seems unusual. I definitely wouldn't give notice with your current sponsor until the nomination is approved. It's not unusual for things to get delayed or cancelled or possibly the nomination wouldn't be approved. Finding yourself without a sponsor is a big risk.

In my line of work, contractors don't normally have to worry about notice periods - everything tends to be fixed term so you know exactly when your current job is finishing. I'll be fine once I've started with that, it's this transition from perm to contract that's giving me the headaches...

Archived