Wanting to start backpacking, what do I need?

Martin Leonard

Got the travelling bug, and decided I wanted to come to Aus, got a couple of buds up around Brisbane area, and want to get a WHV. Just wanting to make sure I get everything needed; Flights, Visa, Insurance, etc. Are there any additional costs that I'd need? So far; I have

Flights

WHV Cost

Sufficient Funds

Insurance

Just wanting to make sure I have all the craic covered, don't want to be sprung with anything I'm not covered for, cheers!

Ye, probably going to be doing some extreme sports. One of the reasons to go travelling I guess. Probably by the time I get enough money, going to be around September/October time. Cheers!

Yeah best to get the extra cover then just incase lol or maybe you can ring up your company and add it on, I haven't a clue how it works but i don't imagine it would be too difficult to do. What kinds are you wanting to do? I'd love to sky dive but I'm a total wimp lol

Definitely doing so then! I'll look into it tomorrow.

No real defined plans, probably going to be doing the typical tourist trail stuff, Bungee, Skydiving (my mother dropped me, I think, that bit that says "no it's dangerous" is missing in me), Shark Tank, wrestle crocs, tickle stingrays, etc. Doing something like that as a job would be the dream for, as opposed to just working in a Bar; done that for the last 3 years, so something different is in order =D

Definitely doing so then! I'll look into it tomorrow.

No real defined plans, probably going to be doing the typical tourist trail stuff, Bungee, Skydiving (my mother dropped me, I think, that bit that says "no it's dangerous" is missing in me), Shark Tank, wrestle crocs, tickle stingrays, etc. Doing something like that as a job would be the dream for, as opposed to just working in a Bar; done that for the last 3 years, so something different is in order =D

I'm laughing at the wrestling crocs and tickling stingrays bit haha. Sounds like you'll be very busy! You'll have a good chance of finding bar work in a big city then or even a small town. I'm looking at going over in November or December but I'm not definitely sure if it'll be for a full year or just a holiday, hopefully the full thing

Medical and ambulance cover if you plan on doing risky stuff.

I'd also make sure your insurance covers repatriation to UK should you ever need it.

I'd get visa first, then book flight. If you think you'll want to stay on for your second year, just get a one way with proof of funds to show you can afford to buy a ticket out of Aus. If you do a second year WHV (and are still young enough to qualify) then get the regional work out the way asap after you arrive and make sure you have the documentation proof for it all.

I'd also open up an account in Aus from the UK so you can transfer funds etc when needed.

When I was in roaming the GSM calls was bloody expensive, so before to settle and get local number I found a free virtual GSM with dedicated virtual Australian number in Ozy mobile networks that saved me a fortune. I was sending and receiving messages that normally cost $0.90 to and from backpacking hotels and friends in Oz. I was sending and receiving answers as well from here http://www.cybercom.com.au

Archived