Students studying from oversees work entitlements

TomasMykal

Ahhh ok thanks.

So their work rights excluding hours is the same as a whv ?

In fact is there any exceptions between a student visa working rights, a whv working rights and a pr working rights excluding hours and amount of months ..?

I'm assuming student visas hv the 6 month for one company rule like the whv or not so..?p

No, student visas are totally different from whv. You can work for the same company the whole duration of your student visa, but for most students you can only work 20 hours a week.

Working conditions are the same no matter which visa you are on. There will be an 'award' for each job in each state which sets out minimum wages, hours etc. etc.

If you are doing a phd etc you can work full time. It will say under 'what this visa allows me to do' on the immigration website. There are different student visas for different types of courses, but most have the 20 hours a week restriction.

• 2 weeks later...

Students can average 40 hours every two weeks, and work full time at school vacation. Some vocational certificates/diploma, and degree courses include training hours, plus internship or industry placement semesters excluded from student hours, but generally unpaid. Mostly likely paid occupational areas of study are hospitality e.g. hotel management and cookery, with student work rights on top during those times.

The assumption to make for student visas is that there is the 20 hour limit. The exemptions are small and, in the case of PhD, if you are on a scholarship you may loose this if you do any paid work outside the scholarship (min had a 10 hour a week maximum if I wanted to keep my scholarship money). Technically I could have worked FT but a) a PhD work is supposed to take 60 hours a week to complete and b) why risk loosing my income?

Archived