how to open an australian bank account

ScotOz2014

hi there. just a quick question regarding a bank account in australia. Im looking to leave Scotland in October/early November, and travel to Australia for 12 months on a working holiday visa. im just wondering how i go about opening up a bank account over there, so i can transfer all my money from my RBS account into the one i'll be using over there?

Couldn't be easier......go online to any of the majors, and probably the minors, too, and you can do the preliminary opening of your account, apply for a debit card and/or credit card, etc....when I opened my Westpac account online they required an Australian contact address, and you had to designate a branch as your home branch.....once in Aus, head into your home branch, identify yourself, and do the final paperwork, and collect your cards, and that is that.......

As Seppi says dead easy. I set one up with Nab, was given email address for someone in a local branch so was then able to correspond re making appts. I arranged Moneycorp to transfer my money before I arrived, so had been given account details of NAB prior. Went to NAB day after I arrived with ID, took my visa papers too though don't know if I needed them, anyhow they had my card and pin ready!

Guest BrisbaneBevan

I opened one with Comm Bank. Very easy to do online whilst you're still in Scotland. I think you just have to make a deposit into it within the first couple of months, so maybe don't open it too early or they may class it as inactive if you just leave it opened with a zero balance. Whether they enforce this or not is subjective. Comm Bank (Commonwealth Bank of Australia) have been very supportive. I do my Super and House Insurance with them also. Good savings account also - 'Goal Saver'

We set an account up with ANZ on line prior to our arrival. You could pay funds in but couldnt withdraw any until you had been into a branch on your arrival and activated the account. 7 Years later we still use ANZ for some of our banking and have found them really good.

Cal x

Archived