Veterinarians - flagged on Skillselect for are they going to take them off for 189 visa :(

Lotti22

Hello,

As vets are now flagged on the skillselect SOL I'm thinking of applying for a very early visa.

I have around five years before I actually want to move to Australia.

has anyone done anything similar and just activated their visa by coming across well before its required?

My partner and I will be living together in the mean time will it be easy to ass her as my de facto later on or would we have to lodge a separate partner visa for her?

Any help or shared stories appreciated!

thanks

Thank you... I am a bit confused in all the different options right now... It seems vets might get taken off... So I could apply now so I'm not risking losing my chances..

My partner leaves the army July 2020 so if I activate my visa in is there a minimum time I have to spend in australia to gain a reentry visa?

Alsp my partner and I will live together in the UK in the mean time so she can get a partner visa 100 when she wants to come out can't she?

feel gutted vets may be taken off the SOL and it'll cost lots more now as we have no de facto evidence till we have lived together so she will need a partner visa too unless I risk it another year!

Thanks x

I have absolutely no more knowledge of this than anyone else but if memory serves me, Veterinarian is an occupation that was on the SOL years ago, then it was removed for a couple of years, then it was put back on and now it's flagged. Seems to me that it would be wise to assume that the chance of it being removed again is quite high.

If you get a permanent visa and then come to Australia to activate it, you can re-enter Australia freely for 5 years from the date of grant of the visa even if you have spent no more than a few hours in Australia during that time. After the 5 years, you can only re-enter Australia as a PR if you have a Resident Return visa. If you've spent 2 years in total out of the 5 in Australia (doesn't need to be all in one hit), you will be able to get a 5 year RRV. If you've spent some time here during the 5 years, you should be able to get a 1 year or 3 month RRV but it's not absolutely guaranteed. If you stay away for over 5 years, it gets more difficult but may still be possible. Read up on the requirements under Visa applicants > Who could get this visa? on the DIBP website - even outside what's written there, there seems to be a fair bit of flexibility in being able to get the 1 year and 3 month RRVs.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/155-157.aspx RRVs

I'm pretty sure a PR can't sponsor a partner for a Partner visa when the PR is not actually resident in Australia. Depending on how you approach things, that could mean a period of separation.

If you lived together in a de facto relationship before your partner went into the army, and have been in a marriage-like relationship (shared finances, commitments etc) since then, it's possible that you may still be able to include her on your visa application as your partner. That wouldn't be straightforward though and getting advice from a decent RMA would be a good idea regarding a) if you could meet the requirements to be considered a de facto couple for at least 12 months and b) the type of evidence you'd need and how best to present it. If you could manage including her, she would be granted the same visa as you with the same activation and re-entry conditions.

Thanks now that really is good for thought...we haven't ever lived together no. We are going to live together for at least a year from this July when my WHV expires and I have to prise myself away from Australia for now :(

if I start the 189 application now, in Australia, would there be a risk of being on next years SOL anyway? And that would confuse the issue if I have to leave Australia mid way through my visa.

So hard to know what to do and whether to chance it. I've been doing locum work here and from what I can tell there is a massive boom of new grads looking for work here :(

thank you as I also didn't realise that I could come out in bits- I guess I could come to work in Australia for a few months per year to get my RRV. But then there would just be some working out of the bet way to get my partner here.

Such a chance to take if I leave it as judging by the way vet schools are going if they're taken of the list I doubt they'll get back on. Pants.

Thanks so much for the advice :)